Monday, September 28, 2009

Hebrews 12:29
"For our God is a consuming fire."


How is one consumed by God?
I wonder this, and in my mind's eye
I see a flame eagerly devour the wood
Until every last vestige of usableness is gone.
Ashes remain, but a wind blows
And even they mist into the wind in a moment.
I see the shore disappear beneath
The relentless, gentle licking waves...
It will reappear in the morning, but
As a different shore than it ever was.
The pattern I drew on it this evening will melt
In the ocean's methodical feed.
I see the green earth consumed by cold
Until the laced fingers of frost have painted
A once-colorful landscape with dull browns and grays.
Nothing remains but the sentry-like branches,
Nakedly trembling before the icy breath that stripped them bare.
How will I change, Lord, when you have consumed me?
How can I be consumed by You?
To say it; to pray it; to wish for it is one thing.
But the acting out of it in my daily life...
Is a mystery to me.
The earthly thought of consumption is frightening:
The loss of identity; life; beauty.
The log turned ash-
The shore's pattern eternally erased-
The Summer's verdancy forever past.
But this consumption of soul and spirit is initiated and performed
By the beautiful, kind, holy One whom my soul loves.
Through my melding into Him,
I will lose the ugly wretchedness of death.
So like the log, the sand, the landscape,
I quietly submit to this consumption.
I seek it, even.
I know life will follow.



If you can look past the 'fro and suspenders,
I think you will be amazed by this heart cry!
You can click here to read the life story of Keith Green, if you've never heard of him.

6 comments:

  1. lizzie! did you write this?? it is spectacular and convicting and encouraging at the same time. thank you for posting it and for the incredible keith green song. i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE him. oh that i were at his spiritual depth......i haven't heard him in years and hearing this song makes me want to go out and get a cd of his. i think i will! hope you are well dear girlie. love, chica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dani! Shortly after I came to Mexico I spent a season meditating on this passage myself. Ozwald Chamber said,

    "Our Lord never puts personal holiness to the fore when He calls a disciple; He puts absolute annihilation of my right to myself and identification with Himself-a relationship with Himself in which there is no other relationship."

    It's the word "annihilation" that grabs my attention. It's the concept of total abandonment to Christ for consumption by His holy fire. What a magnificent thought, as well as terrifying to the flesh.

    You post was very eloquent. I have found that my English has slipped a LOT since living around another language. :( Maybe someday I will sharpen it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you write that? Wow! so beautiful. What you mentioned: "The earthly thought of consumption is frightening:The loss of identity; life; beauty." is definitely true. The majority of Christians must face this at some point in their walk, and determine how much they want to be consumed by God. I fear too many stop short and don't experience the overwhelmingly blessed life that follows. Keep pressing on, deary. You're an encouragement to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling, thanks so much for your comment on my blog! I've subscribed to yours and have been meaning to comment for ever so long. Sorry. I'm one of your most loyal lurkers. :o) I wanted to say thanks for keeping us updated on the AK Hobbits. I love to read Car's blog, but I love yours too. Yours has more pics of small children. :o) How I miss those nieces and nephs! Please squeeze them a little longer today (if they'll let you!) for this far away auntie. I pray Jesus blesses you for this sacrifice to Him. I love you my beautiful un-inlaw. :o) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani Girl,
    That is beautiful!! We've been away for a few days & are home now. I love keeping up with you even by blogging :o) The last week or so I've missed you soooooooo much as you've been on my mind. I try to pray for you all every day. Hope all is going well amid the hustle and bustle of life. Love you, my friend!! Mama Mac

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dani, that is a amazing song you can feel the spirit thru him when he sings.It makes you want to even get closer to God.That my life will be a cosuming fire for Him.Did you write those words? you are an amazing lady don't you forget that.Give all the Hobbits my love and tell them i am still praying for them.Love you bunches! thanks for blogging i feel so close to you well i'm seeing what's going on in your life xoxoxoxo's from the glenny clan.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!