Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Back in Hobbitland

Nome welcomes me with mud, gray drizzle, and stormy waves. BUT there is a lot of sunshine indoors! Sunshine from Wesley's golden curls, from the smiles of little Caleb, from the sparkle in the kids' eyes, and Car and Nate's Welcome Home hugs! And, there is sunlight above the clouds. I was reminded of that when the plane lifted off from Kotzebue, our last stop before Nome. it was disgustingly gray there, too, and I was feeling a little depressed at the sight of it. But as we lifted into the sky and broke through a surprisingly thin layer of clouds, the sky instantly cleared and I could see the rosy morning sunrise over mountainous white clouds, and the vast blue sky beyond. It was breathtakingly beautiful. And somehow, I thought, it was comforting to know that even though Nome has a majority of dark days, just through the cloud cover is always, always, a beautiful sky. Once again I was reminded of the Invisible Reality of life. When it feels like the darkness of earth is our reality, it's important to remember that there is a much vaster, fuller beauty above us and THAT is where we must fix our minds. Not just because it's a good "feel happy" exercise; but because it is a vital part of our Christian lives. If we are going to survive the battle against world, flesh, devil (and might I add "emotions!") our mind HAS to be fixed in the heavenlies.

Col. 3:1-2 (ESV)
"If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth."

5 comments:

  1. Good thoughts! I'm praying for you dear friend and miss you daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very well put! thanks for the reminder...I need the gentle nudge from time to time :o). I'm already missing you here! Consider yourself hugged and please pass a hug to everyone for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dani,
    So glad to hear that you arrived safe & sound!! I was anxiously awaiting an update from you :o) Tell Carlee & Nate hello for us & that we're still praying. Also, check my blog & be sure to send your email address to me. Love ya lots & you sure will be missed here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry! I forgot to tell you that last comment was from me!!
    Your Pastor's Wife :o)) aka Mama Mac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Lizzie! Just in case you don't recognize the name, I have affectionately nicknamed you Lizzie instead of calling you Elizabeth! =o)
    I am very glad to hear you have arrived safely. Please hug Carlee for me. Looking forward to keeping up with you here. Email me when you get a second! Lots of love and hugs. Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!