Sunday, September 20, 2009

The End of Ramadan


This is a video taken exactly one year ago at about 5:30 in the morning from my hotel room window in Melaca, Malaysia. It is the Muslim call to prayer.
I feel horrible, this evening, because I realize that I missed the month of Ramadan by one day. I realized it was during September, but I'm ashamed to say that recently I've been a little self-absorbed. I've lost sight of my goal of being a "world Christian" (meaning a Christian with a passion and compassion for the entire world, not just my own sphere) recently. My eyes have been on the people and places that directly affect me, and I've been forgetting the burden Jesus blessed me with, when I was in Asia, for the Muslims of the world.
And so, the month of Ramadan has passed. Millions of people in thousands of cities awakened every day with calls to prayer something like this, and fasted during the daylight hours out of fear; fear that if they failed to fast as commanded, their good works would be overshadowed by the bad and they would miss paradise forever.
Friends, please pray for Muslims when you read this. Take time to learn about them and what they believe. Realize that Islam is one of the fastest growing religions (if not THE fastest growing religion) and we need to be aware of how to engage these precious people and declare with wisdom and love the truth of Jesus, their Messiah. Pray that God will send laborers into His harvest.
And I will pray that God will not let me so easily forget.

This is a video of Grace and I singing a song God gave me while we were in Malaysia. It is a song calling believers to pray for followers of Islam. It was written while overlooking Melaca, hearing the call to prayer.

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful song, Dani!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it has been a year already since you were there. You are so talented. It was so nice to here this song again. What a good reminder to pray. Keep your vision. God will do great things through you. I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the reminder to pray. I work at a school for immigrant women who are mainly Muslim and yet it is so easy to forget to pray for them each day and for the men and women around the world who are also lost. I too pray that I will not so easily forget.

    Thanks for your testimony and truthfulness. It is a blessing to me and an encouragement.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dani, The video of the call to prayer took me back to Israel. Your song is wonderful! I'm sure God will call you back to Asia in His time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dani, thank you for your post and encouragement to continue to pray for the Muslims all over the world. I can't believe it was just a year ago that we were over there...wow! how time flies. I wish I would've anticipated Ramadan a bit more this year, too. I have a recording of you, me and Christine Peh singing that song in Malaysia -- good times! I miss it... Luv ya, deary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Dani!

    I'm encouraged my your beautiful song. And I pray that we'll not easily forget praying for them. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The song is very beautiful. Thanks for sharing it. I would not call you self-absorbed at all! You are just doing something different right now and are totally engrossed in the activity the Lord has called you to. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are a blessing to Carlee and to many through your blog. God bless! Lilly Shurance

    ReplyDelete
  8. This first video always kind of freaks me out to listen to because it is so heavy on the heart when you know what it means. I want to weep for those lost people. The one of you and grace though, is a favorite! I want you to record it some day, ok? Or at the very least teach me how to play/sing it.

    Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Dani!!

    Aww, did you actually put that video on YouTube?? Incredible! I miss you so so much. I remember you telling us about the Ramadan sounds... :) Miss ya Dani!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!