Friday, September 04, 2009

3 Years Ago Today



“He was fun. He taught me it’s okay to play in the rain. And splash in mud puddles. And let the kids get dirty. And spill ice cream on your pants. He didn’t sweat the little stuff. He followed the big picture.” -Terri Irwin





People often laugh and shake their heads when I tell them how much I think of Steve Irwin. And it's true; He could be a pretty over-the-top kinda guy. I did not agree with every thing he said or did. But I think the things that most impressed me about him, (what casual observers failed to see in him,) were his compassion, his almost unbelievable fearlessness, and the wholehearted passion with which he lived. (Gal. 4:18) He was SO PASSIONATE about what he did! The world is a better place for having had Steve in it.
Sometimes I think that the message of conservation is so twisted by radicals (i.e.- "we should all stop having babies because humans are the problem on this earth") that some Christians' reaction is to completely reject the importance of being good stewards of the earth. It's true that people's minds are completely twisted when they cry over a beached whale but fight for a woman's right to murder her baby. Humans, being created in the image of God, take an indisputable prescience over the rest of creation. But I think that if anything, Christians should be leading the charge in a balanced effort to conserve and protect the earth's species of plants and animals. Why? Not because the earth is our "Mother" or we owe it to the earth because of the carbon footprints we'll leave behind. It's because God delights in what He has made, so we should too. His fingerprints are all over His creation, and I think it brings joy to His heart when we get excited about nature; when we fill the earth and subdue it, understanding that creation declares His glory in the most vivid way.

4 comments:

  1. I'll never forget how well you liked Steve Irwin and how you'd do his voice impersonations :o) You always made me laugh!! Mrs. Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 3 years already... He was such a cool guy it was a shame that he died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHERE do you find all this stuff? (the opening cartoon?) I agree with everything you wrote Lizzie. A great balanced perspective and biblically sound. Hope all is well way up there. So very happy to hear Carlee's news!!! Hugs dahlink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't believe it's been 3 years...where has time gone? as for the rest of your post, i couldn't have said it better myself; the earth has been entrusted to our care and we should take care of it and delight in it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!