Monday, June 01, 2009

Nome is gray today.
The gray seeps through your skin to your very core. On days like this, there is no clear delineation between the sea and the sky; one gray melds into the other and you can't tell where the change from water to air occurs. The gray in Nome is a bright gray that almost makes you want to squint. It's more oppressive that the dark days we have in Ohio and you find yourself wishing it would just STORM already and quit brooding! But Nome hasn't seen a thunderstorm in at least a generation. (Something about the atmospheric conditions in this part of the world...?)

Thanks to those of you who are praying for my dear Carlee. I thought I'd write a little about what's going on for anyone who hasn't heard from other sources. What a blessing to know that there are people from all over the world bringing her before the throne; THANK YOU! Today we hope to hear from the doctors about the specific type of caner she has, and whether or not there is cancer in her other breast. As it is, we are definitely looking at a mastectomy, and we may be looking at a double mastectomy. They did some tests on the baby, and decided to give him two weeks more to grow inside of Carlee. They'll induce her in Anchorage then, and most likely begin aggressively treating her cancer the same day. It breaks Carlee's heart that she won't be able to bond and hold and nurse this little one like she has the others. I think that may be one of the hardest parts for her so far.
We're praying that God would also give wisdom, because Nome does not have the ability to deal with radiation/chemo patients so either Carlee will have to fly out to Anchorage for each treatment, or the entire family may need to relocate for a season. So many questions... so many unknowns!
Yesterday the church body here had an amazing prayer service. Not just for Carlee; for the many needs in the church. It was amazing, and so blessed to lift our hearts to God's throne in one accord. There is great comfort in being with a group of brothers and sisters who are crying out to God fervently, with power. God was in our midst and I think the entire church left feeling encouraged, filled with faith, and with a renewed desire for God to be glorified in and through each situation. I believe God is going to be AMAZINGLY glorified through Carlee's cancer! The believers in Nome have been praying for this city for so long, and since so many people in this city know and love Carlee and Nate, it seems like her cancer has sent a shock wave right down Front Street. The world will sit up and take notice, and they will see that this is our God: one who acts for those who wait on Him!!!

"Since ancient times no one has heard,
no ear has perceived,
no eye has seen any
God besides you,
who
acts on behalf of those
who
wait for him."
Isaiah 64:4

6 comments:

  1. We're still believing for Carlee!! Let her know we're praying. Love you all!! Wish we could be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Dani, thank you for the updates and for sharing more than just the details. It is sometimes hard to see that this is perhaps the answer to the many heartfelt cries for Jehovah to be the Lord of Nome, but I know that He is at work. May the God in Whom there is no darkness ~ no not in any way continue to shine through His saints there and cause you to triumph in hope. I love you all so very very very much. If Nome were a little closer I'd be there in a heartbeat! :) Consider yourself hugged and know that while I've been praying for Carlee and all of that ~ I'm also praying for you too, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani, I just want to tell you that I miss you very much. But more so I am so glad that we serve a God that has our plans already in order!! He knew that you needed to be there and at what time. I am so thankful for your willingness to do whatever the Lord calls you to do. Please let Carlee know I love her and that you all are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Love ya, Kari Margo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dani, thanks for the update...I will be praying for Carlee and you all -- for wisdom, courage, strength and comfort. God always has marvelous things in store for His servants! I've seen it worked out in my mother...Wish I could give you a hug in person, but I guess a cyber one will have to do for now...
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much guys! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Dani, I just checked your blog and was shocked and so concerned to hear about Carlee. What an intense and emotional time it must be for all of you. God's timing is so perfect that you are there right now to take care of the little ones and everything. (How long have you known about the cancer?) May the Lord be your strength and your Deliverer. I and our family will definitly be praying. Much Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!