Friday, June 19, 2009

An Update on Baby Caleb:

Hey friends,
FIRST, I want to say thank you to all of you who have been reading either on my blog or Carlee's! I'm sort of overwhelmed at how many people are reading this, and interested in what's going on, and praying for us. It really feels unbelievable to me and what a blessing each and every one of you are to me; even those of you who I hardly know. It means so much and I feel loved and encouraged every time I hear from one of you. I'm so glad to be a part of the family of God... not only is HE a loving Father who bears us up in His strong arms, but my brothers and sisters are amazing and so kind!!! When my life gets back to normal a bit, I definitely want to spend more of it passing along the love and support and prayers to OTHERS that the Hobbs and Sobies have been a recipient of. You all have challenged me. Thank you.
I'm posting from Carlee's hospital room. Caleb is in the NICU because his lungs are underdeveloped. He's able to breathe room air for a while, but then his lungs can't keep up and his O2 level plummets. Today we went in to see him and we couldn't hold him because they did a procedure to help his lungs out. They placed Surfactin into his lungs through a breathing tube to replace the normal stuff in his lungs that his body isn't producing yet. From what I understand, the Surfactin is a type of lubrication and it helps his lungs to expand. He needs to learn to drink and breathe at the same time so they don't have to put a feeding tube in him. It's really, really tough to see the little fellow all alone in his incubator, hooked to tubes and taped with IV's, and his chest heavingas he tries to breathe. We know that Caleb will be okay, and to see the tiny, TINY little preemie baby in the incubator next to him helps us to put the problem into perspective. The doctors said that his lungs could develop in a matter of days, or it could take weeks. So we're praying that it will be a day or two!! I'll add pictures of the adorable little guy once I can download them. He's precious. Please pray for Carlee and Nathan. There's a lot of deep exhaustion and discouragement right now. Love to you all... ~Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!