Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Zoo-ing

We went to the zoo and rain forest yesterday, and the kids loved it. So did auntie Dani. :) Noah and Shaina bought long bright blue and pink snakes, respectively, and have spent all day playing with them. The blue one has bitten me countless times today.

God showed his amazing grace in the face of my reluctant obedience while we were there. It was just our family in a little shop there, and the lady behind the register was friendly and talkative. I felt the Lord prompting me to give her a tract, but the enemy immediately hounded me with the fear of man. It's been a few months since I've shared my faith with a stranger, I'm ashamed to say. It's always amazingly hard to get back into practice. The only tract I had said "HELP FROM ABOVE" in bold letters on the front, and had only scripture inside. No commentary or ice breaker. It's not my choice tract, but I had stuffed a few in my purse and it was that or nothing.
I wrestled with it for a while and then decided not to do it. I dislike the bold "HELP FROM ABOVE" title because it seems to be such a condescending thing to hand someone. I was allowing the enemy to paralyze me with fear about... what!? I don't even know. How is it that such a small issue as this raises such timidity within me?
As I was walking away, God spoke strongly to my heart with the truth that this could be the woman's only chance... God could have placed me in that shop for such a time as this. I prayed for strength and walked over to her once again. I thanked her for her friendliness and said, "Hey... this is a little something that has meant a lot to me. I wanted to share it with you, too, and I hope you'll get a chance to read it." I handed it to her, trying to strategically place my thumb over the now blinking neon "HELP FROM ABOVE". I failed. She took it from my hand and immediately looked deeply into my eyes. "I need help," she said. "I really need help. Thank you for giving this to me." Her 3 yr. old granddaughter has just been molested by someone with AIDS. Her 2 yr. old grandson has autism. She is trying to gain custody of them. She told me that she has plenty of time behind the register to read the little booklet I gave her... and perhaps, she said, it's just what she needs right now.
I know that it IS exactly what she needs right now, and I thank God for using such a reluctant, foolish child as me... in spite of myself. I hope my zoo friend has stepped closer to Jesus because of our exchange.


These tiny frogs delighted me. What a Creator!!! (They seemed to be pretty socially inclined, as far as amphibians go.)

I truly love lemurs. They're darling!

Carlee and I! What a treasure my sissy is.

"Mimi and Poppy" with Wes. I'm glad Dad didn't have to work so he could join us!!



Katie-Bug

Noah, Shaina, and I with the pink and blue snakes :)

4 comments:

  1. Well, you have made me cry! And I just wanted you to know! Thank you for sharing your sweet story. Thank you for being open about your own reluctance to witness(because I relate and needed the encouragement)! I praise the Lord for the urgent "poke" He gave to you as you were leaving the shop and I thank the Holy Spirit for His mighty (promised) provision of the strength you needed to obey! And thank for sharing the adorable zoo pictures of your SWEET family. I loved seeing your parents again :) and know you must be in heaven to have your sister there--and your little sweeties! It has been fun to see the recent pics and video that you have posted the last few days. love you friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a wonderful testamony Dani! Thanks for sharing...so real! I loved the pics from the zoo. I am praying that you all have a wonderful time with Carlee's family home. May God bless you richly with sweet moments tegether with each of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It pays to mind God, doesn't it? So glad you're having lots of fun with the 'lil ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing that encouraging testimony of your obedience to God prompting you to witness to that lady...I'll be praying for her!

    It sure looks like you had a blast with the kidos and family. Can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!