Monday, May 03, 2010

Well..... here's news: I'm going to be checking off one of the dreams from my life list! (Sorry to say I haven't been working as faithfully on that list as I ought to, by the way.) A few months ago through a rather intricate, curvy chain of events, I received a call from Elisabeth Elliot's husband.
What!?
No...not Jim.
(Heh. That would really be news.)
It's her current husband Lars Gren. When I looked at the caller ID and saw his name, my heart did a little kaTHUMP and I just sort of stood there gawking at my phone for a second before I answered it. I get star struck very easily, I suppose. (As in, he obviously didn't even have to be a "star" to strike me.)
Lars and Elisabeth live in a little coastal town in Massachusetts, and in the past year's time Elisabeth, who is in her 80's now, has been needing some physical care. Lars called a school for young ladies in Dallas called EXCEL, a place where Elisabeth has been a regular speaker, and asked them if they would recommend a young woman to come and help with Elizabeth's care. EXCEL recommended my friend Kendalyn, who was my fellow graduate when I was studying Home Health years ago. Kendalyn gladly accepted and stayed with the Grens for several months but has taken a job in Texas now, so she recommended me to them as a replacement. Thus there I was last February, gawking at Lars Gren's name on my caller ID. :)
I'll be moving to Massechusets the last week of June, and staying for at least 5-6 months. Part of me, to be really honest, is shrinking at the thought of living in a strange town with people I don't know and not a friend or family member nearby. But the other part of me is filled with a sort of hazy, I-don't-believe-God-did-this wonderment. I'm sure a lot of people who read this blog may not know who Elisabeth Elliot is, but to me, she's one of my roll models. I grew up listening to her radio program as a little girl, then as I grew older began to read some of her books, and in the past few years my life has been changed by the story she published of her first husband, Jim Elliot, a missionary martyr for Christ. To me, the thought of being able to care for her is (here's that word again-) ...amazing.
So yeah, I'm a little hesitant to leave the familiarity and security of my family, my job at the nursing home, and friends, but I feel a sense of anticipation. For a bunch of reasons. I feel like God hand wrapped this gift for me and I don't exactly know why, but I feel so unbelievably honored and blessed by it.
I take comfort and DELIGHT, even in this thought, which the hymn writer Fanny Crosby wrote better than I could:
  1. All the way my Savior leads me,
    What have I to ask beside?
    Can I doubt His tender mercy,
    Who through life has been my Guide?
    Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
    Here by faith in Him to dwell!
    For I know, whate’er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well;
    For I know, whate’er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well.
  2. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Cheers each winding path I tread,
    Gives me grace for every trial,
    Feeds me with the living Bread.
    Though my weary steps may falter
    And my soul athirst may be,
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see;
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see.
  3. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Oh, the fullness of His love!
    Perfect rest to me is promised
    In my Father’s house above.
    When my spirit, clothed immortal,
    Wings its flight to realms of day
    This my song through endless ages:
    Jesus led me all the way;
    This my song through endless ages:
    Jesus led me all the way.


I have a deep desire that during this time away from everything familiar, I would draw closer in my relationship to Jesus. I think it's a blessing to be forced away from life as usual, because we cling to Him a little tighter and He becomes our Home. That's my prayer; "Let me be a joy to Elisabeth and Lars, Lord... but even more than that, may I go deeper, higher in my walk with You in the next few months." I sense a growing need for that, sort of like a plant that's starting to wilt a little in dry soil. I need re-hydrated and it's not because God doesn't offer the water. More like, I'm not drinking of it like I should. In short, I sense that while I'm going to be amazingly blessed by living with the Grens, well....He has a lot to teach me in the next few months.

So, that's my news!! :)

24 comments:

  1. You are kidding. Did I read that right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW. That is...unreal!!!! :O But really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you hear my gasp?! Oh Dani! And to think I was going to let you borrow some cassette tapes I have tucked in a drawer from when I went to hear her speak a number of years ago. This is certainly AMAZING news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I know Melanie was going to freak out? ;-)
    Dani, so glad for you that this is working out! The Lord works in incredible ways! And I'm sure He will teach you to cling to Him through this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dani!!! My heart jumped for joy to read your post!!! This is wonderful!! I knew that Kendalyn had been there and something registered in my heart at the time that I could just imagine YOU being given a gift like that someday. :) But I didn't think anything more of it until I read your post! I know you will be a blessing and that the Lord is planning for this time with them! :) Happy for you, friend! It's lovely to hear when God fulfills the dreams of my friends. :) I hope you will keep posting on your blog during that time! Love you SO much ~ Danelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH this is WONDERFUL, Dani!!! You'll go down in the records of the sweet young lady who cared for Elisabeth Elliot in her old age. ;) Wow. Be blessed as you travel to put aside your selfish needs to serve and care of others needs instead of your own. I'm so excited for you. ;)

    {Hugs}
    Miss Toria
    www.purelittleladiesministry.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am overjoyed for you. i echo all previous comments. i will be praying faithfully for you and looking to your blog regularly to know your specific requests. i am fully expecting God to move mightily in your life while you are there. God bless you dani. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Dani, I am remembering visiting over tea in town just a few short months ago as you shared this possibility with me. God has graciously given you the desire of your heart! All the situations He has lead you in - from your youth (okay, so you are still young, but younger times :D); the ministry trips you have been on here and out of the country; and your unselfish sharing of yourself with Nathan, Carlee and the kids have been opportunities to prepare you for this next out-pouring of your love for HIM to others! I count it a blessing and a joy to be with you daily as I check your blog and lift you in prayer. Much love, dear one! teri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly exciting news! So happy for you. What an opportunity to spend quality time with a godly woman. You will be blessed and I know you will be a blessing. Your family will certainly miss you though. Love, Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa! COOOOLIO! And, my BFF went to EXCEL this past year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So thrilled for you...this adventure will be like non other. Can I come visit? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Caution! Long response. :-)

    Three thoughts. I don't want to be Mr. Wet Blanket (!) but I would ask you to consider them. They are direct, but not meant to be harsh.

    1. You will be a blessing to her (and Lars) as you were to the "poor" believers in Mexico. However would you be as excited if you were going to serve a widowed housewife, or a retired school teacher - a no-name? At this point you gain your reward before men (Mat 6:1...). KEEP YOUR JOY AND EXUBERANCE AND EXCITEMENT - they are SO from the Father. But consider going and serving quietly. There is a time for Mat 5:16 but this probably isn't one of them.

    2.God loves his children without favor (Belgian or Mexican). No one is more "deserving" to serve Elisabeth as they are of sering them. It would be a worthy goal to get to the place where you recognize your service is the same. When this happens (and I'm confident it will), the 'walls of your tent' of love and labors will significantly expand and the Father will be able to greater leverage your service in the Kingdom.

    3. I think the age difference between Lars and Elisabeth is about 10 years. It's a good thing she didn't disparage the age difference like you did with the young man in Mexico. I'm sure if he read your blog (and he very likely could) that he would recognize the reference to himself and reconsider your maturity level. Try to treat such advances with more grace and not behave like an 8th grader sitting at lunch gossiping with her girl friends. (When I was a child, I spoke as a child...I Cor 13:11). It's time to put those childish things away.

    The same freeing power of the Gospel you carry to others will free you in these too - it's called sanctification. :-) And you are well on your way! Blessings on you. :-)

    -Kev

    ReplyDelete
  13. I"m with Rosebud...wowowowowowowowowow!
    That is news.
    Some people blog and they say "My news" and you roll your eyes thinking please don't consider a switch in toilet paper brand news, but they do.And then you come along and announce this!!!!
    I am so excited for you. What a privilege to serve and pour your life and energy on someone who has gone before us and blazed a trail for us to walk in. What a beautiful picture of one generation serving another since so much of what she learned has built into your own life. wowowowowowowow
    God is too cool for words. And that's Good News!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dearest Dani,

    I want to share a story with you. I hope you will find it encouraging.

    Last year our family arrived home late one evening to find a message on the answering machine. It was a curious message. We were instructed to return the call no matter how late the time. Upon talking with this individual, we realized a very rare opportunity was being offered to one of our children. It was completely unexpected, entirely unsolicited, and a quite overwhelming, to be honest. We said we would pray about the opportunity and call them back in the morning. The Lord made it clear to our family this was something He had prepared and chosen for our child. Even through our apprehension, the Lord went before us and our child every step of the way. In one sense, we look back and still shake our heads at the opportunity. When it was all said and done, many people came to us, many with tears streaming down their faces, giving thanks to God for what He had accomplished. We were very careful to give God the glory for certainly He had done it all. We were merely faithful in taking the step of faith to do what He had asked.

    One of the first things we did was send an e-mail to our close family and friends, asking for prayer support. I know the outcome may have been different had it not been for so many praying friends. In sharing our story and asking for prayer, we never ever thought anyone would think we were being boastful or proud.

    While I remember that very special day very clearly, I have trouble remembering the kind words so many gave to our family. What I do remember, however, are the words two individuals, two strangers, said to me. They were harsh and critical and, quite frankly, broke my heart. I did nothing but stand there. I have never told anyone about them save my husband and the Lord. To this day, I remember their harsh and critical words more than any of the others even though there was absolutely no truth to them.

    There will always be people in life who will try and steal our joy. Please do not listen to their harsh and critical words. God has given you an amazing opportunity. Do not shrink back. Do not think for a moment you should not share your joy with those who love you and pray for you.

    You have a number of wonderful platforms where you have been given the opportunity to share Christ. And share Christ you do! Your selfless devotion to others over and above your own needs and desires has been humbling for many of us. And so to you I say, "Keep on!", Loved One.

    Your praying friend

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay SO...this is Meghan Durst...and that is EXCITING news. I wish I was a nurse (well NOT really), but that is super cool news!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all for rejoicing with me! :)You're so sweet and I have such dear friends. THANK you for your prayers and THANK you for your encouragement.

    Kevin, thank you for the reminders also. You're so right that Elisabeth is not more important or intrinsically valuable than any other person. I hope that I give the same level of love and care to the forgotten people in the nu rsing home where I work that I will to her in a few months. I do feel especially overjoyed to care for her because her life has so impacted mine and she has invested in me (without even knowing it!). I'll keep your words in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are so happy for you Dani for this one in a lifetime chance. You are perfect for this job and I have no doubt in my mind this experience will strengthen your relationship with Jesus! This is truly amazing and my heart is overjoyed at the plans Jesus laid before you. Bless you!

    We are also super excited that we will get to see you very soon as I miss you!
    Love, Adcox fam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dorothy Bowen KlassMay 6, 2010 at 6:34 AM

    This is soooo exciting!! I, like you, have listened to/read E. all my life and learned a great deal, especially about being single (as I didn't get married until age 41!). I can just imagine how I would feel to even sit down and talk with her, let alone live in her home and be a caregiver!!! Isn't it wonderful the way God gives us the desires of our heart?

    My only bit of advice is to keep a detailed journal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dani!! Wowww!! :)) I'm very excited for you in this journey of yours! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Dani!
    just happened to be reading this and I'm so excited for you!

    Love, Jolynn:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! seems to be the word to use, and I can't think of a better one. What a wonderful opportunity and gift. I'm looking forward to seeing where God is going with this. Hang onto His hands, take the big step into the unknown, and soar!

    ReplyDelete
  22. O my goodness...how truly wonderful!!!
    (yes, every mundane task is important and of worth (i BELIEVE that!!) but unusual tasks are worthwhile, too...blessings on your time there)

    ReplyDelete
  23. David and Annalisa BerothMay 17, 2010 at 7:18 PM

    That is so exciting!!! We rejoice with you at the opportunity. What an amazing privilege to be able to serve your (and our) hero. She has blessed so many; how precious to be a blessing to her in return. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH MY GOODNESS--- WOW, DANI!!!!!!
    What an awesome privilege!!!!
    *jumps up and down with excitement for you*
    Please keep us updated if you have any prayer requests!

    much love!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!