Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Multigenerational goals

-Hike in a rainforest
-Memorize an entire book of the Bible
-Learn a foreign language fluently
-Meet Elizabeth Elliot
-Swim with dolphins

...All on my to-do-before-I-die list. There are a few things on the list that are paltry (i.e: own a dog), and some that are improbable (backpack Australia), but a few of them fall under the header of miracles. Things that could only be accomplished if God chose to intervene. These are family and friends I long to see reconciled with each other or with Christ. The nationwide revival I long to see take place. Entire people groups that have yet to hear the name of Jesus. As I move into a new year, it's always an evaluation time for me. What was the old year like? What do I want to accomplish in the new? And most importantly, am I closer to my Lord this year than I was this time last year? If not, something's got to change. One change that I feel strongly impressed God wants me to make is a change in my prayer life.

It's one thing to write something on my "to-do-before-I-die" list, and quite another to actively pursue it through prayer. The loved one I long to see surrender to Jesus? I need to stop longing and start making it a daily matter of active prayer. The areas of the world that are unreached? I need to stand before my map and present those countries and people groups to Jesus by name. The singer Bono once said
"I'm tired of dreaming. I'm into doing at the moment. It's like, let's only have goals that we can go after."
I hate to pick on the old chap since I've never even heard him sing, but I couldn't disagree more. I think God is pleased when we have hopes and dreams that are far beyond anything we could accomplish in our own strength. He gives us dreams, in fact. Think Joseph. His dreams saw him through betrayal, a pit, slavery, and a dungeon. And Moses, the plan God gave him seemed so far-out that he almost flatly refused to attempt it.

God enjoys dreamers! But not the fluffy Disney "if you believe it you can achieve it" type of nonsense. As we concentrate all our efforts on delighting in the Lord, He gives us wild dreams that can only be fulfilled through His power and in His time. Because if we delight in Him, His desires and our desires will meld. No? Read Psalm 37:4-
"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."
Or what about Jeremiah 33:3?
"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not."
For this reason, the goals of a Christian should be goals that transcend a lifetime; goals that are passed on to my children and to their children. Goals that as a mother, I will try to ingrain into my children at every opportunity so that generations can accomplish what my lifetime alone can not. I'll be the first to admit it: Some of my to-do's can be classified as pure fluff. (Attend a ball.) But the ones that really matter are the ones I'm going to start praying about and striving towards today. Maybe I won't get 'er done, but my kids just might. (Yeah.... technically I guess I can't call it a "do-do-before-I-die" list anymore can I?)

10 comments:

  1. great post Dani! This has been on my mind a lot lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a simple Thank You will do!! Your words are so encouraging and thought provocing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What exactly do you mean by "multigenerational"? I have never created a bucket list....maybe you could help me with that when I am home! Doesn't that sound like a fun conversation? :)

    Love ya!
    Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dani,Very thought provoking words.I definitely want to come closer to God this year.The year 2009 was a hard year I hope that 2010 is better.Miss you at Nursing Home service,but I know you wer'e needed at home.LOVE YA BUNCHES! XOXOXOXO'S FROM THE GIRLS AND QT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Dani,

    Happy Birthday! Nickie, Grace, and I have been thinking of you today here in the Bright Lights office. I hope you are having a very special day. We miss you lots and think of you often!

    I know that this past year has been far different and more difficult than what you were expecting. But I know it was a rich one for you as you ran to the Lord time and time again and held fast to Him. The Lord is truly magnified through your faith and trust in Him.

    I know the Lord is blessing and will continue to bless you for your faithfulness in pouring out yourself day after day for Him and for others. "The LORD recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust." (Ruth 2:12)

    I also wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed your blog post about prayer the other day. Thanks for sharing!

    Love you and hope to see you again soon!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dani!

    Thank you for writing. It was very encouraging to read your last post.

    Joyfully, Mary B.

    P.S. I was a BL intern during the Omaha conferences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know it was your birthday.Happy Belated 25th Birthday.I hope you had a wonderful birhday.Love ya and xoxoxoxo's and birthday wishes from the girls and QT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dani! I love your new blog skin, it's gorgeous! Also your post was very encouraging. Wait - it's your birthday?! When's your birthday?! I think I'm late. Oh well, happy belated blessed birthday!!! Love you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dani!
    Just wanted to say that I love you're blog...It's such a blessing to read! Keep a'going, girl! (and keep on going with the Jim E. quotes!) God is really using you [even though your family line wasn't prayed over by Jim Elliot...unlike SOME people we know.] ;-) & it's amazing to see the incredible, invisable things he's doing!!!
    BTW, love the pics of the outfits...and if you want to come to a ball, come visit.. We were recently invited to a Ball...it was being given in honor of a pastor & family who are moving away!
    In Christ,
    Karissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy your blog and wanted to comment on two of your "goals".......I highly recommend the book of James for memorizing. I memorized it years ago and the practicality of the book really speaks to my life every day.

    Also, if you want to visit E. Elliott you should do so soon as she is 83. I had the pleasure of meeting her many years ago and I thought her husband was much more personable than she was. (She was very reserved.) Her life, writings, radio broadcasts, etc. have all had a tremendous impact on my life.
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!