Monday, March 01, 2010

Of Glaciers and Stars

Today I stopped by Foxnews.com and happened to see some pictures they've posted from the Hubble Space Telescope. Psalm 147:4 says "He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names". No wonder it is only the fool who can say "there is no God" (Psalm 14:1).

When I see pictures like this, it's hard to remember that each of these stars may easily be bigger than planet earth; some of them are many times bigger. Size like that is almost frustrating, because it's impossible for me to comprehend. It reminds me of when I was in Alaska, and I stood in a giant bowl created by glaciers. Surrounded by the glaciers and the mountains they created, it was impossible to fully understand how giant it was and how tiny I was. Mom and I decided to try to hike to a glacier we could see, and I figured it would probably take us about an hour; maybe a little more. Until I spotted a group of hikers on the edge of the glacier. They were almost invisible, they were so tiny. Smaller than ants, winding their way across the snow. I realized, then, how huge what I was looking at was...it would take most of the day to even reach the base of that massive mountain of ice. That put the entire valley into perspective, and my heart did a flip as I realized just how small and insignificant I was in that one valley- then the whole state- then the entire globe. For a moment, I got it. And then the feeling vanished. We humans forget our insignificance, our smallness, so quickly. In reality, I think our minds are just too small to hold on to it. We see these pictures of outer space and say "Wow. Pretty neat." But if we could somehow for a moment understand the hugeness, the vastness of it all, it would literally take our breath away. We would have to worship. But as it is, the audacious human race continues to enjoy the breathtaking handiwork without crediting the Creator. Every glimpse of His creation should inspire awe at Him, but it's not like that. If Fox posted a song or artwork without crediting the designer, they'd be sued. But not so with God's handiwork. For a time He allows us to ignore Him. But He won't forever. Some day He WILL hold us accountable and when the human race claims ignorance He'll point to the stars. He'll point to the glaciers. And if you are one who has chosen to ignore God, with a sinking heart you'll know then; you are without excuse.

And to think: still, in mercy the Architecture of it all stoops through the stars to notice us; minuscule specks on an infinitesimal planet suspended on nothing among the endless galaxies. He deserves to be worshiped and adored with all of my being!! He deserves for my life, each moment, each breath, to be lived for His glory alone. I'm ashamed when I think of the greatness of God and my ignorance of it.
_______

"Oh, the fullness, pleasure, sheer excitement of knowing God on Earth! I care not if I never raise my voice again for Him, if only I may love Him, please Him. Mayhap in mercy He shall give me a host of children that I may lead them through the vast star fields to explore His delicacies whose finger ends set them to burning. But if not, if only I may see Him, touch His garments, smile into His eyes -- ah then, not stars nor children shall matter, only Himself."
-Jim Elliot

_______


Orion Nebula Star V838 Monocerotis Galaxy Cluster 1E 0657-556Hubble's Greatest HitsHubble's Greatest Hits

2 comments:

  1. Dani,
    What an excellent blog post! Very perspicacious. If only we felt our size and insignificance in our own puny strength more often and yet our immense significance in the sight of God, both at the same time.

    May we post a link to this blog from our own blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you can post a link. Thank you for your comment! (I can't say I've ever been called "perspicacious" before.) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!