Thursday, March 04, 2010

http://www.freshdelmonte.com/Cms400Scripts/uploadedImages/Our_Products/Whole_Produce/melons_copyint.gifCollie

Sometimes it just really seems like life is sad. A few moments later I can forget why I even felt that way. One moment you're giddy with excitement, or doing just fine, and in the next your heart is burdened and heavy. It's easy to dismiss those feelings as unimportant, or wallow in them. Both extremes aren't very Scriptural, I guess. But tonight I remember what I read in a Bible Study this Summer... what did David do when his soul was heavy? He encouraged himself in God. Instead of allowing his emotions to control his faith, he spoke to himself and demanded that his emotions be under the control of the Holy Spirit; subject to the joy of God rather than the despair of man. (Psalm 43:5. below.) Lately I vacillate between the two extremes about as often as a yo-yo vacillates between north and south. And I remembered this tonight: "Why are you cast down, O my soul? and why are you disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God."

...Just reminding myself.

6 comments:

  1. Melancholy, that's just funny!! AT first glance I was like "WHAT is she doing?!" then it clicked :) I have those major ups and downs too, it's amazing how I can blame it on hormones, what I've been eating, etc. I think those things really do affect my mood but shouldn't justify it. Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pssssst isn't your 2nd photo a Sheltie not a Collie?? LOL!!! I have a Border Collie and have had Sheltie crosses :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you....

    ReplyDelete
  4. last night, my pastor said something like "our honest emotions are one way that God works in and through us"...he was referring to Joesph's very honest expression of his emotions when reunited with his brothers. But, yes, an underlying hope in God keeps us from falling off into despair while we're doing so...
    Keep being honest.

    i just read Carli's latest blog, too...prayers for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, Dani, I didn't see this post until today and now I know why - because the Lord wanted me to read it today. He knew I needed it. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister has been reading your blog to me the past couple weekends. You're such a good writer. Thanks for sharing!

    Oh, and I was feeling Melon-Sheltie yesterday - Thanks for the pick-me-up! :-)

    -Kev

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!