Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Carlee Update

Many of you have probably already recieved this e-mail from my mom. If so, disregard this post. :) For the rest of you, here's an update on Carlee and what's going on around here. Thanks for your prayers. I say that so often that I'm afraid it probably starts sounding shallow and I'm frustrated by the limited adjectives I use :). But I don't mean it that way. I truly ask God's blessing on each of you who pray for Carlee. God has used you, our friends, to lift us up when we're drooping time and time again. And we're very grateful.
From my mom:

Hello dear praying friends and family,

I have wanted, in vain, to send an update for a couple weeks...so sorry to always be asking for specific prayers and then not reporting back on the answers )-: Some of this may be old news to those who get on Carlee's blog, but just let me recap the last month:
Carlee's PET scan came back showing no signs of cancer. That was a huge praise, but we are also aware that those scans don't show every cancer cell.
The door closed for Carlee to get a second opinion at the Clinic, but she was able to get into Ireland Cancer Center. The oncologist there gave some options regarding further treatment and confirmed that what she has done up until this point was right on target.
Nathaniel went back to Nome nearly two weeks ago and is staying in touch via phone and internet. He's ticketed to come back to Ohio around March 23rd.
  • Carlee's lymphedema hasn't seemed to be nearly as bad, but she has misplaced her sleeves which help with the swelling. So could you please pray she will find these??
  • Carlee's been having daily radiation for the past 3 weeks. It is going well, but she is beginning to show some redness and signs of burning. Please pray that this would be minimal.
  • She has begun taking Xeloda, a chemo pill that enhances the effects of radiation. Unfortunately it also enhances burning and scarring. Along with Xeloda, she started Tykerb this week, another oral chemo pill that was recommended. It shows much promise in killing her type of cancer and preventing recurrence. She is going to take the Tykerb as long as she is getting Herceptin infusions (which she gets every three weeks until July). These pills seem to be causing nausea and alot of fatigue. The past two days have been especially hard. She started taking anti-nausea medication yesterday. Please pray that her body would adjust to these drugs, and that her energy level would increase and her nausea would decrease.
  • I know that with 5 small children in a home there is a certain level of noise, discontent, bickering and drama that is to be expected. It seems, though, that there is a bit more at times than is reasonable. Add to that a tired and sick Mommy, and ...well...I think you get the picture (-: As a proud grandma I will be the first to say that my grandchildren are sweet, well behaved and loving. That said, would you please pray that there would be peace, cooperation, joy and obedience amongst the youngest members of this house- actually, us older members could use the same thing!
  • The children seem to get up alot at night, which drains Carlee for the next day. Please pray for a spirit of slumber to descend on the children and stay on them from 9pm until 8am.
  • Regarding the future, Carlee was advised by a top doctor at Sloan/Kettering in New York to take a very strong chemo for a couple months after the radiation. He is the only one who has suggested this, and she and Nathaniel are praying that the Lord would clearly show them if this is His direction. I would most likely mean staying here in Ohio through that treatment. Please pray for wisdom to know what, if any, further treatment she should pursue after radiation.

Finally, I wanted to share something I was reading this morning in John 15:11 "These things I have spoken to you that My joy may be in you and that your joy may be full." I want that joy that Jesus is talking about! He possessed a greater joy than any person has ever experienced, even in the face of Calvary. He promised to share His joy in all circumstances with the believer who abides in Him. Would you please pray that each of us would abide in Christ and experience His joy in the midst of this trial? We can have joy (delight, gladness) in the knowledge that God is our Sovereign ruler, the sustainer of our soul and life, the One who loves us supremely. We can have joy in knowing nothing will come into our lives today apart from His will. Please pray that our home would be filled with His joy in everything we might face, from dirty diapers to cancer and everything in-between.
Thank you for the prayers, meals, support, encouragement and love that you have poured on us. We are so grateful!
With love, Lin


Here are a few pictures of our littlest boys that I thought I'd add. :)

BATH TIME for the Chubster:
"Aunt Dani you won't actually... like...show this picture to people will you??"


Here you can just barely see his two little front toofers. Now he can bite us.


"A hot bath...a lotion rub...life is good!"


I love messing around with Wes's hair! Here you see the Einstein 'Do paired with a Superman curl.


Wes adores his Poppie, who rides in a super-cool police car, and sometimes spends lunch break with him.

3 comments:

  1. I don't get update letters anymore, so am glad to read about Carlee on here. Let her know that when God brings her to my mind I pray for her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love these pictures dani...........i am thinking the 3 more mature hobbits are on their family vacation? i see some peace and spoiling of the wee ones going on!! enjoy. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani,So sorry I didn't get to come to the church for the talk redeeming the time.I would of loved to come,but Quinton wasn't feeling well he's been fighting a bad cold,and I didn't want anyone in the nursery to get sick.Thanks for inviting though it was nice to be thought of.Maybe we can get together soon.Let me know.Love ya xoxoxo's from the girls and QT.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!