Friday, February 18, 2011

I'm free!

Went to a women's prison yesterday with Isobella, a friend of the Elliots who has a ministry there. She speaks no (and I do quite literally mean "NO") English so it made for a hilarious time... each trying to figure out what the other was saying. She wasn't content to just ride quietly along beside me in the taxi--no, we must try to communicate. :) I was glad. It was fun.

The prison was a precious experience. It would take an age to tell all about it so some day, when you and I are in a personal conversation, ask me about Elena from the prison. I'll tell you a victorious, poignant story about the severe mercy of God to a beautiful young woman. She is a paradox: her body is imprisoned, but her heart soars freely in the heavens. Sometimes, though, because of the physical bars that surround her and the dark inmates she's in contact with constantly, she forgets her spiritual freedom and sits like a little bird on the floor of its cage, unaware that the door has been opened and her heart is free to fly. This is why I praise God for Isobella and those like her who are teaching young Christians in the prison! Jesus will use this teaching (and our prayers) to continue drawing Elena into a fuller, deeper, more joy-filled life.

Walking outside of the prison, I saw the dirt street filled with women and children, men old and young- some hawking their wares and some sitting idly, eying me curiously. These men we call "free." But I wondered if they are free. I wondered, if I could see for a moment with the eyes God sees men with, which ones would be walking with heavy shackles chaining their heart to the dark pit below.

For this blog wallpaper I chose the bird, liberated from her cage, because it is a perfect picture of what Jesus has done for me. He has set me FREE from the dungeon of sin and shame and guilt... the cage of condemnation...the shackles of the devil I served...the meaningless existence of a prisoner! Thanks, thanks to my Savior, Jesus!

Friend, are you free?

Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray—
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.

The trip was a great blessing. It was my first time in prison but I trust it will not be my last.


(Oh, hush!)

3 comments:

  1. Dani,I am so glad you are having a good time and I am especially happy to be free also from sin.I am so thankful and humbled that Jesus died on the cross for my sins sometimes I feel like i am so undeserving of his great love.I am very blessed in so many ways.Keep sharing his love dear friend.Love ya and xoxoxoxo's from the girls and QT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sweet Cherie!
    I love you!
    Tell Tim I said hello... I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss you too! I will tell Tim you said hello.LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!