Sunday, February 13, 2011

(I cant find the apostrophe key.)

Were in Trujillo, Peru!
After a long and scenic bus ride we arrived at the Elliots home yestderday evening. What a precious couple- I love them already! Couldnt keep the moisture out of my eyes as I met Bert Elliot--the brother of Jim and he looks so like him. Jims life has so greatly influenced mine that I am overwhelmed to be meeting the people who he most loved in all the world. I cannot stop thanking God.

Its hard to describe how incredible it feels to be in a different coutry again. It felt this way the first time I was in Europe, then Asia, then Mexico... everything is done so differently. The people are so beautiful, the language so musical, the smells and tastes so new, the architecture so foreign. Theres something about it that sends a thrill of joy through me and causes me to pray that the Father will let me travel for a long time to come, to many more places, spreading His glory in each place I am.

Ive been working on Rosetta Stone Spanish since my time in Mexico with Ashleigh, and during the 9 hour bus ride was incredulous to realize that I could actually pick out the meaning of some signs and conversations. This learning a new language is an amazing experience--a challening one. It feels as if a key to unlock the mysteries of a different culture has been placed in my hands, and I have but to fit it in the keyhole and push the door wide open. Its a delightful mystery. I love it.

And now its time to stop raving and head out to keep company with the four dear old folks in the livingroom.

(Lars is reading a book aloud, and as I sat languidly enduring the story and gazing around the room it occured to me that as he read quite energetically, he was unconsciously serenading the slumbers of the other three. A pen-and-ink portrait of Jim Elliot hangs on the wall and his eyes were pointed directly at the sofa upon which Lars reads. His particularly scrutinizing gaze made me wonder if Lars has that unconscious feeling of being watched at times...?)

Now here I sit in the computer room, and the reading has silenced and been replaced by the sound of a rather loud snore from one of the four sleeping beauties.

Yes, folks, this trip to Peru will be high energy.

I hope I can keep up with them.

10 comments:

  1. Careful you don't wear yourself out! I've had so much fun with your Mom and David for these couple of days. So sorry they will be leaving so soon. Have a great trip!

    Mrs. P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does Lars read your blog?????

    Happy South American Valentine's Day my friend. I thank God for my every remembrance of you....

    xoxoxoxo,
    Chica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could be there, snoozing with the old folks! I love you so dearly, sis. Praying for you often, you come constantly to mind! Happy Valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! you made it! Be sure to take lots of pictures...can't wait to hear all about the trip. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. P- Isn't David the best!? I'm glad you got to see him and my mom!

    Sheila- NO, thank heavens!!!

    Mrs. Hobbs- I love you.

    Chelsea- Wish you wuz here girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep makin' the most of every opportunity! :)
    Love ya!
    ~Karissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dani,
    It's amazing where God will take you when you are serving Him and in the center of His Will, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i was hoping that you would be posting daily since there is a lot of night "down" time??

    how is it going???? what did you do yesterday and today?

    love from all of us,
    chica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. Mac, you are so right! It is amazing. HE is amazing. :)

    Chica: thus far I haven't trekked through any rainforest or converted any heathen tribes yet... the most interesting part of the day is a walk around town, pushing Elisabeth in her wheelchair.
    BUT: when-and-if something exciting happens I'll let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. dani, i am catching up on blogs and you have me crying in all your posts. lots of times touching, heart cries. this post...the tears of laughter. you are such a great writer. i love how you help us to see the scene so vividly. HILARIOUS in this post. hahaha.

    got your email. so cool that we have been neighbors recently! wish you could just pop over for a little visit. :) soon, ok?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!