Tuesday, February 08, 2011

A Tale of Two Brothers

Many years ago in the early-to-mid 1900's, there were two brothers. Both had dreams... and they talked about them together as they'd work side by side making money by doing odd jobs around town in Portland, Oregon. The youngest was dynamic and energetic, vibrant and noticeable. The older was quieter, but with a joyful spirit... a ready smile...and--perhaps what some didn't realize--the same fire burning within. The younger brother would speak of the passion he had for missionary work; for the ache he had to be on the field, preaching the Gospel, working for Christ. The older would smile and nod, affirming his little brother and together they would pray that God would send them both, for the older wanted to preach the Gospel in far away lands, too.

One day, the older brother prayed a prayer which he knew could cost him greatly. He told the Lord that if his staying in America could somehow make his little brother successful on the mission field, he would do so. He would raise support. He would hold the ropes so his brother could go.

As God's will saw fit, both brothers ended up on the field. The younger, Jim, burned his light brightly until he was killed only a few years after he stepped foot in Ecuador. The older, Bert, broken-hearted but faithful, continued to work in the steamy jungles of Peru planting churches and schools, counseling and discipling. He and his wife is there to this day; nearly 90 years old, with no plans to return to America for Peru has become their home.

For more on this story, watch this short video clip about Bert Elliot. It will, perhaps, change your life.



Praise God, on Friday Elisabeth, Lars and I will travel to Peru for two weeks with the Elliots! I can't wait to meet these amazing people.

I don't believe I will ever be a Jim Elliot with the story that will change the life of thousands of men and women across the globe. No... but perhaps, by God's grace, I can be a Bert.

And that is my prayer for you, friend. You who are taking the time to read my stutterings here. :)

7 comments:

  1. Have a great time! I'll be praying that your journey goes smoothly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Dani,
    As you are serving one in the kingdom, for the Glory of the Lord, you are not only doing a 'Bert' thing, you are doing a 'Dani' thing - which is just what the Lord had planned for you! Whether is it Miss Elizabeth, who has touched the lives of many; or the wee Hobbit's and their family; or the lonely resident at the ACNH, YOUR hands are the touch of CHRIST to them - in the background, with little notice from a horizontal perspective - but greatly for the Lord with a vertical perspective.
    May we but strive to be the 'Dani' in our little worlds!
    Love you! And enjoy your trip!!
    teri
    ps - thanks for the note - it brightened my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Teri, I'm being so honest when I say you just don't KNOW me well enough. Some day I hope my heart will serve with the same ferver my hands do. I attain to be that person though (don't we all?), and I thank you so for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an opportunity the Lord is giving you to spend weeks with this amazing couple!! I can't wait to hear what you glean and how the Lord works in your heart as a result. Thank you for sharing this, I never had heard of Bert. I loved Randy's story from Bert at the end about Jim shooting across the sky..... So moving and challenging on how we live our lives, whether as full time missionaries, ceos, factory workers or homeschooling mamas. =o)God bless you on your trip, I know He will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani, I am so excited for you I hope you have a wonderful time.You are a blessing to all of us.God Bless you my dear friend and change lives in Peru.xoxoxoxo's from the girls and QT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited for you!
    Thanks for sharing...what an encouragement for today!
    ~Karissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dani Dear -
    Only the Lord knows any of us; but so often we have to obey with our hands in order for our hearts to follow. The example of your serving, even through the sometimes tears and frustration, is the example of the malleable clay that the Lord wants us to be.
    And I am sure, when you have the time to speak with Bert and his wife, you will find they most likely have felt/do feel the same.
    And I expect that is probably how the Lord would like us to feel - obedient, yet always striving to have the heart after HIS Son. And when He is finished with us and brings us to His home, the hearts and hands will meet in accord. For sometimes, Danidear, the heart is willing, but the hands (spirit) are not.
    Looking forward to getting to know you better as I learn of you in your posts, pray for you as as the Lord leads, and meet with you when we can!
    Love, teri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!