Thursday, October 14, 2010

Valerie's Visit

Mr. G. left for his home town in Norway two weeks ago, and Miss Elisabeth's dear daughter came to stay and make our home a Female Only residence for 10 days.

On the wall of the hallway hang three pictures from Ecuador that I absolutely love. All three are taken with a camera which the renowned photographer Cornell Capa gave to Elisabeth to use during her stay with the Aucas. One is a close-up of Elisabeth, taken presumably by firelight or lamplight. In the background and foreground you can just make out the faces of several Quichua Indians, but between them, in focus is just Elisabeth; her intent, beautiful face (Jim once described it in his journals as a face "with all it's deep intensity of longing"), pensively gazing into space--and I imagine her to be lost in a moment of reverie while the quiet bustle of the service or gathering she is part of slips by unnoticed around her. The other two pictures have a naked little blond sprite in them. In the first she is seen from behind walking down a shallow riverbed hand-in-hand with an equally naked Auca man, his stocky dark body contrasting to her thin, white one. (Neither have even a hint of self consciousness about them; why should they? A savage and a child share an equal disregard for clothing.) He carries three 8 ft. spears in one hand. This is one of the men who killed Valerie's father when she was only 10 months old. This is the man, who when she first saw him, she asked of her mother, "Why can't he be my Daddy?" The other picture is of Valerie and the same fellow (Kimo? Dawa? I forget his name) sitting together on a tree trunk hunched in interest over a picture page of some sort. Val, with tousled white-blonde hair, and one finger pointing knowingly at the page is obviously instructing the man about whatever mysteries the picture page holds.

ALL that to say, (You probably thought that I had derailed my train of thought but I had a plan for it, mwaha!) ...When I met the little dimpled blonde girl two weeks ago she was my mother's age and rather less blonde than when she was 4. But still with the same dimples, still with her father Jim's eyes, and the beautiful face I love looking at in pictures from when she was a child. I couldn't help but just sorta stare at her face and try to morph the 4 yr. old into the grown woman she had become. She has 8 children of her own now, mostly grown, and it was a delightful two weeks that she and her mother had together. I felt blessed, and perhaps a little guilty, to be in the midst of it. Given the tenderness with which she treated her mother, the wisdom of her words, and the love for her family and her Lord... I think that my hero, Jim Elliot, would be proud of his little girl.

And now for a few photos of Nantucket, where we stayed with friends of Valerie's for two days. It was beautiful; absolutely quaint and picturesque but... does it really warrant being the most expensive vacation site in the country? I'm a bit doubtful on that one.


~The Giant Shell of Nantucket~
(Well at least that's one way to reduce sun glare.)

An evening with friends was spent watching YouTube videos and munching on popcorn. :)
Oh, the laughter! Valerie's friends are very sweet! And I love all the facial expressions.

Miss Elisabeth, Val and I. Not in that order.

I'm always entranced by sparkling water!!

A parting view of Nantucket from the ferry

Fun on the ferry- how's that for a good lookin' lady?

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting post.

    Perhaps you and Valerie would be interested in a new book released in 2010. (JIM ELLIOT: A Christian Martyr Speaks to You, ISBN: 9781615797646) Like the Journals of Jim Elliot it contains his own words.

    May God bless you and your service for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dani!

    We loved your post today...required reading at our house, ya know!

    Thank you for sharing so many precious moments with us. It sometimes feels like we are standing right there with you, looking at the pictures on the wall, sneaking by the scary skull, or gazing at the moonlight over an endless ocean. What an amazing adventure you are on!

    BTW, I left a comment to your last comment. So to continue, the book is fabulous! Perhaps you can tell Miss Elisabeth that even all these years later, it's still making its mark. What an amazing servant of the Lord!

    Sending love and a big hug,
    Michelle (the CSL but not the PSL!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dani, I have loved following your adventures with Elisabeth Elliot. You're getting to be part of the later chapters of a story that so many of us have read about. Such a neat opportunity! I love your scenery photos too - Nantucket's beautiful! - and am always encouraged by quotes and thoughts you put up.

    By the way, maybe you can tell Mr. G. that I (although I'm a total stranger to him) soooooo appreciated him putting up the outline and draft of Miss Elisabeth's final book that was never published (on the Elisabeth Elliot website). I loved getting a chance to see a little more of her writing. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey lizzie!
    i agree with the above posts.........your blog is required reading at our house and you are a part of the later chapters of elisabeth! what a gift from God!!!! hallelujah, thank you Jesus for your incredible gifts to us. i too, feel like i am there with you, a sign of a good writer! and photographer!
    hugs dahlink! xoxoxoxoxox chica
    looking forward to seeing you at christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thank you all so much for your comments! Sometimes I wonder if anybody get on this thing (excepting you of course, Chica) :) ...and it's pretty neat to hear from people I've never even met or don't know too well.
    Thank you so much for stopping by and for taking the time to let me know you did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a good blogger...you understand the need for pictures. ;-) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Boo,
    GREAT post, as always! I'm so excited for the precious opportunities that God is giving you. What a beautiful and gracious lady Valerie is, and I'm so glad that you had the time to be with her, her precious mother, and her friends! You are SO missed by all of us here in Ukraine, but know that you're in our thoughts and prayers. I love you you, little sis. I'm proud of you!
    Your big brother, Scotters

    ReplyDelete
  8. I check your blog quite frequently for new posts because I have always loved and admired E. and have most of her books. Used to read and reread them when I was single and had the one commodity I lost when I got married at 41--TIME. You write so well and always have interesting, sometimes soul-searching thoughts. Please keep it up!!! Dorothy Klass

    ReplyDelete
  9. ditto to what everyone else said. and you know i'm always reading, girl. LOVE to live vicariously through your amazing experience right now. so awesome that you are getting to not only spend such quality time with miss elisabeth and mr. gren...but, also all of the other amazing people in their lives. and thank you for sharing that with us. love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks dear Scotters!!
    Dorothy, you were married at 41? I'd love to hear your story; I'll bet it's a good one. :) Thanks to all of you who check in to this blogspot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!