Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"My Brothers" Pt. 1*

*Dani is feeling preachy.

Been thinking about the following verse lately, and there are some points I've taken from it. I think they warrant two or three separate posts. So without further introduction, I am going to commence to preach.

"And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’" -Matthew 25:40

I think you know the context of this verse, but if you're interested on a refresher I'd encourage you to look it up. I've thought it interesting that many people seem to disregard two words in Matthew 25:40: "My brothers." There seems to be a trend in our thinking that is not Biblically based, and I'm pretty sure I know the culprit of it: The Christmas song, "Here Comes Santa Claus." In this cute-but-creepy song, we're told this:

Santa knows we're all God's children; that makes everything right.

Well I'm glad it's a reassurance to the jolly old elf, and I hate to criticize his theology (because you know what they say about looking a gift horse in the mouth...or biting the hand that feeds you...or something like that...) But Santa's wrong. I can't seem to find any place in the Bible which says that we are all God's children by default. We are all His creation, yes, but not all His children. Scripture makes a very clear delineation between the children of God and the children of the devil. I could list a whole slew of verses to support that statement, but I'll stick with 1 John 3:10-
"This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother."
Pretty clear. We are NOT "all God's children."

Having said that, I think it's important that in Matthew 25:40, Jesus is specifically talking about doing good to His "brothers." Just as we are not all God's children, we are not all Christ's brothers (or sisters as the case may be). Jesus clearly delineates this for us too, in Matthew 12:50.
"For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister..."

So what Jesus says in Matthew 25 refers specifically, (only, I believe) to believers. Christ followers. He's not saying that every time you give a beggar a quarter you're giving Jesus a quarter, or when start a prison ministry you are ministering to Jesus. Only, He says, if they are His "brothers" does it count as doing it unto Him. Now plenty of times in Scripture it talks about doing good works, feeding the poor, being kind to strangers, etc. etc. But the specific promise that we can know we are serving Christ Himself only comes when we are serving Christ's followers.

This is beautiful. It means that Jesus so identifies with each of His Children, and He is so completely wrapped up in our lives, that He considers a good work done to me to be a good work done to Him! He considers a slanderous word said about me to be said about Him. He appreciates it when people love and care for me to such an extent, that He feels as if they are loving and caring for Him.

With this in mind, I am going to start in on post #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!