Friday, November 27, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

I don't have much to write. I have phases, sometimes, where my thoughts almost spill over themselves in an effort to be expressed. Then, sometimes, they fly a mile a minute through my mind, but elude my grasp and refuse to escape and be concretely written or typed.
So why force it? Here are some pictures instead. (Supposedly these are worth a thousand words, anyways.)


The ocean is finally completely frozen over. It was a fascinating process to watch and now it's beautiful and desolate, like a snowy desert.

The best part of heavy snowfall is that we can finally use the snow machines!

This is James, Amy, and their little guy Justice. One of the best parts of being in Nome has been getting to know them better! I work with James at the Children's Home. He is also an artist (the Anchorage Museum of Art just bought one of his paintings!) and Amy is one of those people who is so incredibly artsy and creative, that just being near her inspires you to try and create something. :) Even beyond that, though, they're a blast to be with!

Our jolly baby!

A not-so-jolly (but very cute) Kate :(
(I love this picture.)

We had fun sled riding and fort digging with piles of snow near our house.

Cute little Pilgrims :)

We had a wonderful time with the Fiskeaux's for Thanksgiving dinner!

Thanksgiving would NOT be Thanksgiving without Grandma's red cabbage and delicious lentils! I woke up Thursday morning and it occured to me that I'd have to be the one to make these dishes this year because mom's not here. :) So I rushed to the store and gritted while I paid $15.00 for two tiny cabbages... but it was worth it. Nate, Carlee and I felt like we were at Grandma's house when we tasted the traditional Thanksgiving food.

After the kids were in bed Nate came over and we played Rumikub, ate some leftovers and watched a movie. And of course, laughed and goofed off as only siblings can. We got quite a kick out of this picture... Carlee appears very phantomlike... HOW did she manage that?? When will the fashion police track down and interrogate me about my pajamas? And WHY is Nate acting normal when we all agreed to act crazy for this one??
(Questions that will, undoubtedly, remain a mystery.)

9 comments:

  1. Dani, your blog posts just have this way of making me smile....I can so hear your voice saying what you are writing.
    Miss you!! I'd love to visit in Alaska but don't exactly have extra money for a plane ticket at the moment.... :)
    I've been missing Singapore and Malaysia recently, how about you? Good times...!

    LOTS OF LOVE (prayers too!),
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Dani, it looks like Nate was acting a little crazy. Look at how he is balancing his head on top of that bottle! And I think his smile is what's keeping his head from falling one way or the other. Ha!
    I love your blog and check it every now and then. I'm glad you're here in Nome helping your sister. I pray for you too!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL! Nora, you've got a point there. And I hear Nate was persuaded to do his Gollum voice for you!? Lol!!! :)
    I'm glad to be in Nome, too. Thank you for the encouragement you are to my sis... you understand what she's going through in a much deeper way than I can, and it means a lot to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Dani!!! *jumps up and down*

    Ohh I've been trying to contact you for YEARS...any e-mail I send gets kicked back. You probably don't remember me, but I was in your small group in the Michigan STRONG IN THE LORD conference a few years ago. I was the girl who was the crocodile fan and was totally sure that I would catch a croc by the time I was twenty. lol

    Anyhow, that seems like a l-o-n-g time ago. But I'd love to e-mail you, if you wouldn't mind?? My e-mail is on the sidebar of my ministry site, not sure what yours is.

    Hugs and Blessings,
    Miss Toria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dani! Remember me, from the Omaha Bright Lights conferences??? I just popped in to say hello. I hope you're doing well. I've been praying for your sister.

    Love in Christ,
    ~*Bryant*~

    ReplyDelete
  6. i will probably wait until the sea warms back up before i receive a comment on my comment or an email from my lizzie. i do not have the good fortune of nora. i also thought nate was funny balancing his face on the bottle...btw, what type of "bottle" is that??

    i had the most blessed lunch with your mom today at miss mollie's. it was so special and i will treasure it forever. wish you and carlee could have been there. someday!

    love you pictures....and yes, they were worth a thousand words. the one of kate! so sweet. love the ones of auntie dani playing in the snow with the 4 little dolls. how fun is that? and who is on the snowmobile?? looks like you on the back. how funnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

    holding you tightly in prayer. love you, chica

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear Chica,
    I shall not indulge your pit party. I simply refuse to do so. But I SHALL answer your questions:
    -Sparkling grape juice
    -VERY fun
    -Carlee

    Lovingly dahhling, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. No way! I know those girls! They're great!

    -Kendalyn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!