Wednesday, November 18, 2009

On a mountain I saw a tree one day,
Just a small sapling where a nut once lay.
And I paused to wonder as I saw that tree
What the years would do; what the tree would be.
The years will pass and the tree will grow, but
Every trial it's seen will eventually show.
For a tree can't hide what it's feelings are,
And for each new hardship it will bear a scar.
On the mountainside it will bear the brunt
Of the elements; it will tremble; grunt.
And tree stands firm, when the fierce winds blow,
But the barren trunk and the branches show
That time and wind have had their say
For they'll gnarl and twist in a painful way.
The leaves will fade and curl and drop
When the last warm rays of Summer stop,
For the tree can't show any beauty there
When the breeze it feels isn't warm calm air.
I hike the trail oft' to see that tree
For when I see it's progress I think of me.
My life is gusted by winds over time,
And the choosing of the winds that I feel isn't mine.
I can not choose if they'll warm or chill me,
Can't know if the world will love or kill me
But by the grace of God I will blossom still
When the warmth of friends turns to icy-chill;
When the winds of time try to shake and twist me-
When rain and tears erode the ground about me-
And though wounds may come, may the scars be few
For the keeper of my tree is a lonely Jew.
~DCS

4 comments:

  1. Dani,What an amazing poem! I am so glad that Jesus is the keeper of my tree,especially when we go thru things and trials we just don't understand we just have to put it in God's hands and sometimes that is a hard thing to do,but he gives us the grace.GOD IS A MERCIFUL GOD!AND I AM SO GLAD HE IS!Because where would I be today if it wasn't for his wonderful grace.I hope you are feeling better I was so sad to hear you weren't well.LOVE YA SWEET FRIEND OF MINE.Give Carly hugs for me.Tell her we are still praying for her and the family.I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.XOXOXOXO'S FROM THE GIRLS AND QT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful poem, Dani. I'm printing a hard copy for my "poetry binder." Hope you have a great Thanksgiving and that everybody's well enough to pig out.
    And then, to look forward to a family Alaskan Christmas! Who'd have thought?
    Love to all,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you write that poem? It is lovely. Thanks for sharing. We are praying for all of you. Lilly Shurance

    ReplyDelete
  4. LIZZZIEE!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving! Oh, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your poem. Wow, girl, God has blessed you with a beautiful gift of writing.
    Elizabeth herself would be so moved by your writings. And too bad Lin if you think I am giving your daughter a big head! I am happy to be just one of the contributers. Miss you. Please hug Carlee for me.......and ask her to hug you for me.......
    xoxoxoxoxo, Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!