Thursday, October 15, 2009

Of Princes and Princesses

I am standing in front of the mirror finishing a quick ponytail, and almost as an afterthought I grab the tiara Shaina had been playing with earlier and place it on my head. The children, who are playing in the next room, glance in at me, a bit puzzled. (Grown-ups don't often play dress-up.)
"Aunt Dani," Noah begins, "Do you ever wish you were Cinderella?"
I turn to him and smile, mysteriously. "Ah, Noah... there's something you don't know about me." The room grows quiet. Even Wesley eyes me solemnly over the
thumb he's shoved in his mouth.
"What?"
I pause, for effect, and then: "I am Cinderella."
"What!?" Noah is cynical.
"But... but you're not Cinderella."
"Yes, I am."
"But..."
Shaina joins in Noah's doubtful protestations. "But Aunt Dani, you can't be Cinderella."
"Why not?" I adjust my tiara, pretending to be a bit hurt.
"Because.... well... because Cinderella sings and dances."
"I sing and dance too... all the time."
Silence again. They can't argue with that one.
"But... Cinderella has a prince."
"I have a prince too... I just don't know who he is yet. But, someday, he'll come for me."
Shaina's eyes begin to shine. I can read her thoughts: Really...? For real!?
Noah follows me into the kitchen as I start to prepare lunch.
"Aunt Dani, is it against the law for me to marry you?"
"Yes, Noah it is. Besides; I don't want to marry you anyhow. You're not my prince. You are another girl's prince."
Inside, I laugh. He's an ambitious little knight in shining armor (-in training)... but he's going to have to wait a few years.
After lunch and before naps, I turn on some music and we all dance around the living room. At first, I pick a fun happy song that the kids and I wiggle and bounce to. But then, I choose a slow waltz. It is "So This Is Love", the song Cinderella and the prince dance to on the magical night they meet. As I hold Shaina and we twirl around the room, we smile at each other and she leans her head back, shuts her eyes, and spreads her arms wide. We feel beautiful.
And we both know that Cinderellas don't just live in fairy tales.



13 comments:

  1. Awwwww :) Have you heard Steven Curtis Chapman's song Cinderella?? It's very pretty :) It's so hard waiting for that prince... I'm so impatient! I don't mind waiting I just wish I knew WHO I was waiting for LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can ditto BK's comment entirely! That is such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing the conversation! :) Miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, to live in a little apartment palace with such princesses makes me feel like a queen! Thank you for caring for the hearts of my wee ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww! how precious, Dani! thank you for sharing that. the way you had them just about convinced that you ARE Cinderella is priceless! good times...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani,that is so adorable I can't wait to meet your prince. He will be a very lucky man to have you.You are so good with the children I bet they really enjoy having you there.You are definitely missed here! Love ya bunches xoxoxox's from the girls and Quinton.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LIZZIE! you have recovered!!!!!!!!! hallelujah! i am so glad you are back to being a princess again! i can guarantee you that your prince is going to be one blessed man. i think his name will be jim.....i want to be in your wedding.....at least the bird seed attendant. grin. i am so glad your spirits have lifted and you are no longer the horrible, crabby, gloomy, eyeore of an aunt/sister you insisted you were. i will have you know that i narrated your story not once, but twice, (by request) to the girls. jillian is next to me saying "mom, mom, this makes me want to dress up....can i??? mom, mom?" it is after 9 at night...lol. olivia is lying next to me in bed with a fever reading what i am typing and correcting my incorrect grammar..."hey that i needs to be a capital..." hugs to you my precious dahlink! and to carr! please tell her how thrilled i am that she is finished with chemo!!!!!! woooohoooo!!!!!!! hugs, chica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Dani Girl!!
    It sounds like you are doing better! I'm soooo glad :o) You make a wonderful Cinderella!! You need to go find a frog and kiss it and then maybe your "Prince" will appear. If only it were that easy! haha!! I can just visualize you dancing around with the kids. You sure are making some wonderful memories with your sweet nieces and nephews. They'll never forget their favorite Aunt Dani!! Love you, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dani,
    I'm your Mom's cousin, Tonie. I try to read your blog to keep up with everyone. This week a friend sent me the following and it seemed appropriate to send to you.

    'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better. Concentrate on this sentence... 'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you..'
    May God bless you all; you are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dani, it was so wonderful to "hear" from you the other day. Miss you bunches!! However, if you were not there doing a great service to your sister's family I would never get to hear these wonderful "fairy tales" you share with us! Thanks so much for playing the role of Cinderella!!Your knight in shining armor is just brushing up on his skills I am sure! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,Dani!!! I feel so bad that we've lost touch!! But alas, I've found you!!! We were in AK this fall.... we flew out of Anchorage on the 10th of September. We were there almost 3 weeks. Well, we were in Fairbanks/North Pole. Anyways, its great to "find" you!! We are praying for Carlee. Nate posted it on FB and we've been praying.

    Hugs!!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. It took another 6 years, but your prince just read this blog :-) Can't wait to dance with you when I get home tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!