Friday, May 01, 2009

A Beautiful Job

'You shall rise before the gray headed
and honor the presence of an old man,
and fear your God: I am the LORD.'
-Leviticus 19:32


I love my job! Not every aspect of it, of course... but this is a terrifically fulfilling and blessed job. I'll miss my "little old people" when I'm in Alaska. The Word promises rewards to those who give a cup of cold water in Christ's name. And I'm getting paid to do it! :) I count it such a blessing to be able to clean and help these people maintain their dignity; to delight in their funny little ways and laugh with them or (sometimes) let them spill their worries to me. I love being the one who visits them with their first smile every morning and tucks them (well, some...) into bed with a kiss at night. How sad that these amazing members of society are all too often sent away and treated like an embarrassment to their families rather than the treasures they are.

(Now, will someone please try and remind me that I wrote the above paragraph when I next get up at 4:00 am to go to work? Or when I'm cleaning up a horrible mess or dealing with an impossible, stubborn old lady? It's easier to be enthusiastic about the job when I'm home. Lol!)

Here's Rosa. She is my *FAVORITE* female resident in the nursing home. She's absolutely adorable and she constantly makes me laugh. I love to sit on her chair and sing with her, or let her babble to me about whatever is going through her mind. As you can see, she can't really talk too well... but she must have loved music at one time. :)



I can't figure out how to rotate this video. This is Mary Mary, who is indeed quite contrary. She is SO funny; some of us call her the Tornado. She loves to tease and act crazy. If you get in her way she just might reprimand you with a shoe.
NOTE: I think this video is the funniest thing ever.


This is Jack with Amanda, Weston, and Casey. I love this smiley guy! He doesn't talk much, but he kisses my hand like a gallant gentleman every time I see him. Jack-O also laughs at me shamelessly when I do the occasional -(occasional, mind you)- airhead thing.

Lianna is one of my supervisors. I pretty much just took this pic with her and added her to my blog so I'd get a raise.
...WHAT? It was a joke fer cryin' out loud.

Sandy, Ed, and Stacy. Stacy and I have had some good talks and I pray for her a lot.
Ed was a farmer; frequently he thinks his wheelchair is a misbehaving Combine.

Camera thief!!
(Gotta watch those co-workers.)

Kimmy-Loo with eyes of blue! She's precocious. She throws stuffed animals at her roommate when Ellen gets nasty.


P.S.- Happy May, people! Can you believe it? I can't.

7 comments:

  1. what a wonderful peak into your working/serving world...and, again, your very big heart! when do you leave for alaska????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani!! this is Lois! serving in Thailand.
    I'm really inspired by you and I just wanted to let you know, that you're doing a great job!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. awe! great post Dani girl! now i can put faces with the names... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to leave a comment the other day, but apparently it didn't work ~ again :o(( This post reminds me so much of when my Daddy had to go to the nursing home. It's so sad, but sometimes it just has to be that way! I think you'd make a pretty good nurse!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani I absolutly loved your posts of work! I cannot wait to go back and see everyone! At least I know it is in good hands! :) I am going to miss you this summer though!
    Calla

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the pics ; ) Just thought i'd leave a comment on your blog so that I wouldn't get complaints!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you started approving your comments! Nice move. Very smart. Before you were just asking for it really. That's what I do so I can weed out comments that are from people I don't know or that make me look really bad!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!