Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Deckin' the halls!

* Thanks so much for all your comments on my last post. Wow, how encouraging that my struggles and things that God's teaching me could encourage you, who read this! That's special to me.

Well, I haven't posted in a while, and I suppose it's because I can't think of a thing to post about. There's not a lot going on here in the Cove other than the normal daily life activities. Miss Elisabeth has lost a bit of strength lately so a lot of my time is spent trying to help her get enough food and liquids. (Prayers appreciated for that.)

Yesterday I put on some Christmas music and pulled out the Christmas decorations that were in a closet. I found it rather strange that Mr. Gren said I could decorate as long as I "didn't go haywire."
Haywire?
Me?
Perish the thought.
Okay, in all seriousness, perhaps I have been known in the past to get a little garland-happy, but this is the most wonderful time of the year and I think when it comes to decorating, the more the merrier (as long as you don't cross the line into garishness; and here I could say a word or two about the massive blow-up snowmen and Santas with which people adorn their yards... but I realize that you, my reader, may have one and so I will refrain from divulging my true feelings about those monstrosities.)

I have been called fanatical in my annual quest to save unloved Christmas decorations from the trash can. Every year, my mom's dark side seems to emerge as we pull aged, sentimental (and usually hand-made) decorations from the Christmas bins. Several years ago it was Bowinkle the red-nosed-reindeer (oft mistaken for a moose), which was a macramé wall hanging that my mom had hand made ages ago. Bowinkle was a stalwart on our bathroom wall during the holidays for years, and then one Holiday season my mother up and decides to pitch him... simply because he was from the '70's and his antlers hung askew!
Christmas without Bowinkle on the bathroom wall...?
I saved him. He now bides his time in my own Christmas bin designated for such treasured eyesores. Some day I will hang him proudly in my house, and tell my children that their amazing Grandmother made him... and that no, he's not a moose. He's a reindeer.

The last item I saved was a tree skirt that my mom and siblings made when....well... when was it? Actually I don't think I was born yet. But it still holds sentimental value to me because it's gracefully held our family's Christmas gifts under the tree for over 20 years! Sure it might be a little ragged and outdated, but it's very special.
I saved that, too. Some day it will give me warm fuzzies when I pull it out of the bin in my own home.

But back to the Cove!
To honor Mr. Grinch--er--Gren's (I joke!) request that I not go "haywire", I quite refrained the little Martha Stewart within my soul and only scattered a few things around. Oh, how my fingers itched to put fresh pine bows on all the window sills and Christmas ornaments hanging from the fireplace mantle!
But I didn't.
I suspicioned that those touches might have qualified as "haywire."

I love the boquet of holly and pine on the dining-room table. I found a length of golden ribbon to tie around the vase and it's so simple and beautiful.
The pictures aren't very good quality because they were taken on my iPhone, but they give you an idea of some of the fun I had:
I wish Miss Elisabeth could tell me where the handmade angel and the beautiful dried arrangement that I put on the piano came from. I'm sure they each have a memory behind them.

So.... Happy 1st of December everyone! And God bless you all this Holiday season with a deepening wonder in the Christ of Christmas, who though He was rich, for our sakes became poor... that we through His poverty might become rich. Thanks, thanks be to God!


PS- I keep remembering with whom I was Christmas decorating last year... in Nome! My mind and heart are constantly reverting to last year this time when Carlee was so very sick and yet God gave us so many precious memories. How I praise the Father that Carlee is alive and healthy today! Can you look at this picture of my little man and NOT grin!? Oh what I would give to hold him and kiss those sweet cheeks right now.

13 comments:

  1. Dear Dani -
    I love your picture and hope that someday I get to see your very own home decked out for the holidays! Can't wait to see you :)
    Hugs and loads of love, teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie, what a wonderful question. In fact I think that's a good blog post title and I want to do a little more studying but I'll post about it soon, probably. :) Thank you for asking because it made me think too... and I agree with you that our entertainment choices should always be filtered through Scripture. Good for you for asking tough questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani! Love this post on many levels. First of all it is a new one! Loved the pics you posted of your decking the halls and of course the one of you with tinsel on your head made me smile out loud....
    I can see you pilfering through your Mom's Christmas trash now! Love it.
    As far as the last pic making you smile, of course it made me smile, I also smiled at the green crocs!!
    Merry Christmas Sweet Girl! xoxoxo Chica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dani! I was actually

    thinking of blogging about it before. I'll leave it you ;) You don't have to post about it :) but I'll be looking forward to your findings. The issue is that we are in this world though not of it. We need christian politicians, scientists, film makers, and not just missionaries. I did some research on LOTR and it was fine. Also, I didn't mean to make you think :) I guess where to start is, "Is it okay to watch fantasy? I believe yes but caution should be taken because there are some that mock God and much more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the twirly "Christmas Tree" in the background of the 2nd pic. (What is that actually?)

    I need to get my decorations out and try them in our new place. Chances are probably 10% though. If you happen to be up here for next or this or whichever Christmas, I give you free reign to go haywire in our place. Maybe you could start a decorating business! Imagine that!
    gotta run,
    merry Christmas Dani!!
    Nora :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nora, a Christmas decorating business in Nome?? How FUN would that be!? :) :) :) I will love to practice on your beautiful house some day!

    The tree is actually just an artificial tree they keep there by the window all year 'round and I put white lights in it.

    Miss you all... and I miss the great "island" of Alaska! (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dani! I LOVE this post :o)

    I have to tell you that on the way to church we pass a house whose entire front lawn is covered with about 20 holiday inflatables! I always laugh when we drive by and wonder what kind of electric bill they have. And then if you found yourself standing on their front step if you could even hear yourself over the hum of all those fans!

    I'm so glad you saved all of the stuff your mama no longer wanted. You'll be so happy to be able to share those wonderful memories with your family someday!

    Stay warm...we think of you every day!
    Michelle aka CSL

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are really missing you up here Dani! Love you and enjoyed the post. By the way, what ever happened to the "dead" angel that went on top of the christmas tree all those years? Did you keep that one too?! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah, little sister! I can't get up my gumption to decorate without you! I miss you and love you, and I'm letting Wes' hair grow again. He's too cute with it long. I love you dearly and miss you severely. Car

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Dani,
    It's Sophie! Thank you for your comment about my dress! Honestly, I didn't like it at first which was bad. I moved to Southern CA and the dress code is entirely different from NJ. I lived there for about 4 years for college. Anyway, the temptation to please the crowd and not God has been there. Hopefully, I can continue to please Him because it is Him that all my focus should be on. Though others may dress in a certain way, I have to dress accoridng to what He would like :) And yes! the dress was lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sophie, God will honor you for taking the higher road! You ARE pleasing Him and to him your modesty is so much more beautiful than others who may be willing to compromise in order to please the crowd. You are holding on to the value of your purity and I know from experience that it's not easy, but it is not unnoticed either in God's eyes, or in the eyes of His children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMW! Your "little man" is assuredly adorable! That picture should be in a Christmas magazine. =-D Very fun and sweet decorations Dani! ps. he's not a moose, he's a reindeer. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dani, thank you so much for decorating their home! It looks lovely and I'm just so glad that a bit of Christmas cheer is there for them to enjoy this Christmas season. Thank you, thank you, thank you, friend! I hope our paths cross soon!

    -Kendalyn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!