Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Going out with a bang


Well my last full day in Nome had a few firsts in it: my first time to drive a snow machine, and my first dogsled ride.
Rochelle, a gal from our church here, has a kennel outside of town and has competed in the Junior Iditerod. She offered to let us come out for a couple hours and meet the dogs and ride in the sled.
I admit it: I was giddy like a little kid. Like the squeal, jump-up-and-down kind of giddy.
It was a dream-come-true because I've always been fascinated by dog sledding. The dogs are gorgeous. And like their mushers, such tough athletes. They live to run and enjoy every minute of it. Wesley and I took the first ride, and since the dogs were fresh and excited we shot out like a bullet. I was shocked by how fast those little fellows can pull the sled...whew! The snow was icy and the trail was a little rough; we capsized twice going around curves and I got a bump to the head, but that makes it all the more adventurous. :) It was one of the funnest things I have ever done and I'm so thankful to Rochelle for inviting us out!






6 comments:

  1. So, so, so very cool! :) That looked like crazy amazing fun! I love the picture of the dog with his eyes. Your right, their eyes are beautiful! Praying for your travels back to Ohio!
    Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're not going back to Nome at all? Sounds like a lovely place to be...

    ReplyDelete
  3. only you guys could end your time in alaska on a dog sled ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!! praying for your trip and the 2nd trip for the others next week. can't wait to see you!!!!!!!!!
    love you, chica

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looked like it would be so much fun!!! So glad you are back home in Ohio. Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm sooo jealous! lol what a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Dani, the pictures look great! I love the photo of Noah and Willow, shes such a sucker for attention. I'm happy everyone had such a good time. When you come back to nome(sounds like you may want to come back in the future)we will have to do it again! Hopefully the trails will be better and we wont take any spills...poor Wes!! Anyways I had a great time with you and the kids and everyone! The dogs did too! :)
    -Richelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!