Monday, July 20, 2009

Yikes. Long post.

I once heard a preacher say "Good and bad run on parallel tracks, and they usually arrive about the same time." I'm not sure why that's the case (maybe I forgot the rest of his message...)
...But I think he's right.
There have been lot of ups and downs the past few days. Actually, the past few MONTHS. (I never would have dreamed I'd have the amazing privilege of living with my sister and her 5 kids in Alaska!!! ...But I never would have imagined that she would have breast cancer, either.) Carlee has been feeling a little more of the effects of her chemo treatments this week. A lot of exhaustion, dizziness, etc. Her hair is definitely starting to come out. Please pray that her white blood cell count will rise. It's extremely low right now, so she's really receptive to any type of sickness. Her body would be unable to fight a virus off if she were exposed to it. She's staying out of crowded public places and we're trying to screen visitors. Also, the catheter tube entering her chest for chemo and blood draw purposes is having a problem. Carlee's body has built a protective sheath around it inside her chest which is normal; except this sheath is in the wrong place and it's making blood draws extremely difficult. There's the possibility that it could also cause the chemo drugs to back up and spill into the surrounding tissue, burning her. Please pray that God will protect her from this happening and fix this problem. Carlee needs prayer, too, that her heart will remain at peace during chemotherapy. It's scary and stressful to think that a complication could result. Carlee is amazing; she's such a trooper and so beautiful in so many ways. It's not just the beauty of a pretty face or a sunny disposition; it's the beauty of Christ. His peace, His love, His joy. I feel so honored to be her little sister. I always have, but now more than ever.

On a lighter note, here are a bunch of pictures showing the happenings around here while Dad was with us. I know it's a lot, but I so wish I could have shared all the wonderful parts of the past few weeks with family and friends... and it's hard to know what pictures to add or leave out. We were so busy that I didn't post about everything that was happening, so now I'm catching up a bit. It was a very special time and we all miss Dad. He added so much to the daily happenings. Noah cried when I was driving him home from saying goodbye to Poppi and said "it just isn't any fun here without him!"

Poppi took the kids for a lot of 4wheeler rides.
Here you see a classic pic of Wesley a few seconds after being removed from the 4wheeler. He's terribly indignant and offended when you lift him off!


Franklyn stopped by to visit us a second time. This time he laid in the lawn and chewed his cud. (After getting a few strategic pictures of our moosely friend, I think he might be a she. But I've decided that "Franklyn" it shall remain, regardless!)


Bath time for the wee fellow! This was a family affair and we all gathered around and adored him while he enjoyed every minute of the warm bath water. Carlee gave him a swaddle bath, (something she had heard about from NICU,) so he felt warm and safe the whole time.
Have you ever seen such a hairy little back!? Soooo downy soft.



Dad and mom took the kids to Lake Hood one afternoon to watch the float planes taking off and landing. We all wished "Uncle Nate the Pilot" could have been there with us. :)

Mom, Dad and I enjoyed an outdoor concert and walking around downtown Anchorage for an afternoon. Dad and I posed in front of the new Sobie Summer Cottage! (Haha.)


Wahoo! An afternoon cruise! Dad and Mom took Noah, Shaina and I.
(Our little ship is in the background)
The beautiful Seward Harbor



The wildlife sightings completely exceeded our expectations: a pod of orcas (my wildest dreams came true there!), sea lions, bald eagles, humpback wales, a pod of Dall's porpoises, sea otters, and countless puffins! There is something almost magical about wildlife encounters. I feel as if I've been given a special gift when they choose to allow me to approach them or when they come close, because I know they are wild and free; they could choose to be anywhere they want. How could you not glorify the Maker of such intricate design!? It makes me feel close to God when I get a chance to be close to His creation. Oh, and this is funny: the captain of our boat, on returning to Seward harbor, announced: "Folks, if anyone is at all dissatisfied with the amount of wildlife we've seen this afternoon, you and I need to have a serious talk about expectations." I laughed.

(Shaina and I were tuckered out after a long day on the water.)


Dad and I had a great time Salmon fishing the past two days.
We took Noah with us the first evening.
The Salmon are running now, and there were a lot of fishermen taking advantage of it. I know you're probably dying of curiosity so I shall tell you: I caught some!!
This is the first decent sized fish I've ever caught. I loved it. Dad didn't catch anything, but he took mine off the hook for me. (Such a gallant gentleman!) Unfortunately, I lost my drivers license somewhere while I was fishing! I'm honestly not sure how I'll get back to Ohio or Nome without it... I guess it's time to start looking into Anchorage residency options. ;-)

I've been reflecting, while Dad has been here, about how good it has been of God to give us such a special time together in the midst of the horrible nightmare of Carlee's cancer. The earth is full of such beauty, and getting out in it the past ten days has been refreshing and restful. Getting the chance to observe God's wild creatures and the glory He's created to reflect who HE is... there's nothing like it! Oh, how blessed we are to live in this masterpiece of God's; one that is breathtakingly beautiful even after sin has marred it.

8 comments:

  1. The pics where Awesome! What a wonderful way of sharing the blessing. :) I can totally relate the the quote at the top! I would agree that it is accurate. I'll email you and tell you all about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of you and your mom could be a post card. BEAUTIFUL!! We miss all of you. What amazing creatures God gave for your viewing pleasure. He is so GOOD!! Glad you had a good time and relaxed a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh thank you sweet dani for that "long post"! i loved every minute it took to read and gaze at those lovely shots! i've been so busy with my clubs that i haven't been here for awhile...thank you for sharing about how to pray for your sis! and i want you to know that i am! and the more i read your writings of your heart, the more i know how to pray for you as well! i cannot tell you how WONDERFULLY wonderful it was to talk to you the other day...your call was the sweetest blessing to me--it blessed my heart in an enormous way. i love you dear...and your family! God is faithful...always! and i understand those 2 tracks--and the importance of keeping our focus off the tracks and on the feet of our Lord Jesus. He is walking on those same tracks...but always ahead of us! and He will not allow our foot (or our spirit) to falter! i love you! deana

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so good to read your blog,it's so informative. Letting you know again we keep praying for all of you. Tell your mom & dad our prayers are with them. What an awesome God we have in the midst of despair. He knows all about our trials. Give Nate & Carlee our regards. We love you all. Lancaster County friends. :) Levi & Sarah Glick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Appreciating your insights...my heart hurts for you all. Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You saw ORCAS?!! SO NOT FAIR! lol that would be really neat to go to Alaska, I wouldn't want to take a cruise up there though. We watched the movie The Poesidon Adventure (about a cruise ship that flipped over and killed almost everybody) so I'm not too keen on cruises ;) Neat blog you have, I was blog hopping and landed here. I pray your family has the strength to make it through this hard time.

    Greetings from the SW US Prarie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey BK! Thanks for your comment. :) I saw that movie too, (or most of it) and it pretty thoroughly freaked me out. Lol! I'd love to see your blog but it won't let me on. How can I view it?
    Blessings, Dani

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure you can see it, I can add you as a reader if I have your email... Hope I can get you set up :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!