Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Wounded Brother

Steve Saint is the son of Nate Saint, the missionary who was killed with Jim Elliot in 1956. When I was living with Elisabeth I heard a little more about Steve's ministry and life... it's a pretty awesome thing he's doing, trying to use the incredible gift with airplanes, passed on to him by his daddy, to see the gospel furthered in the farthest corners of the earth!

Last week he had an accident which left him almost completely paralyzed.
Watch this video.
It absolutely blows my mind.
I am so convicted because I wonder if my attitude would be very different from his if I were in this situation.

His sweet, surrendered spirit and passion for God's work completely overrides the usual anger and questions and grieving that most people would battle in a "tragedy" like this. It's proof that the power of the Gospel is able to completely transform our lives and give us peace that makes UTTERLY NO SENSE to a watching world!

Part of me absolutely grieves about this accident but another part of me just wants to give this brother a standing ovation because of the incredible, beautiful surrender he's displaying under horrific circumstances! If there was EVER a time that we'd excuse a pity party or crisis of faith or depression it would be now: and yet this man is committing himself to the arms of God and using his pain to reach out and motivate others. And this is a knee-jerk reaction! It's not a attitude that took him a process of weeks or years or months to attain. Something Elisabeth Elliot was wont to say is, why is it that we say we're 'struggling' with something when what we really mean is that we 'won't surrender' it? When our lives are surrendered to God, what He chooses to do with us—whether it's through a seeming blessing or curse—will not cause a crisis or a struggle. It will cause us to JUMP to the opportunity to glorify our King through our circumstances.

God bless you Steve! 

God will make you even more productive and fufilled in these latter years of your life than you've ever been before. 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Dani,
    I read about this online last week after it happened and made me think of you after your stay with Elizabeth!
    Love you,
    Mrs. Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dani, I had only heard a tiny bit about his accident. What a heart of child-like trust!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani, is there any update on Lars??

    Mrs. P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lars still needs prayer. He's back in Massachusetts but Elisabeth is in Mississippi. Obviously the separation is not a good thing and Lars needs to heal so they can be together again and figure out what's next—if things will be the same or will need to change for her care. Please keep them in prayer. He's really discouraged. :(
    Thanks for asking Mrs. P. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani, Thank you so much for letting us know!
    We will be praying for Steve, as well as continued prayer for Lars and Elisabeth!
    Please keep us updated, as you are our only "news" site for these dear ones who we care so much about. God bless you!
    ~Kim from California

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for Steve, Lars and Elisabeth...So much pain and suffering going on in so many dear ones lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there,
    I did find your blog by doing an Elliot search. That is another story. I have been reading your posts for hours. Almost every one. It was time well spent. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, Anonymous, you are SO kind! Bless you for your words and thanks for the encouragement! I hope some of my posts encouraged you to lift your eyes to the Invisible Realities. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh. This was not why I thought I was here. I am looking for another update on Elisabeth and Lars. Adding Steve to my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!