Friday, November 05, 2010

Have you met a Hobbit lately?

I have been watching LOTR (again) and I just need to come out with it once and for all... I love Hobbits.

Love them--the darling, noble little things. I can not watch their scenes without smiling; particularly at Pippin and Merry.

I've often wished there were such a thing as a Hobbit and it makes me sad that they're mythical. Or...are they?

A few days ago we went to a family's house for lunch. And I tell you in all sincerity, their son was a Hobbit. He WAS one, I'm telling you. I knew it as soon as I saw him and I liked him immediately for it. He had the hair, the face, everything but the cloak and I'm sure if I had gotten up the nerve to ask him to show me his feet, they'd have been big and hairy Hobbit feet. Did not get up the nerve though, for which I am grateful. Could have caused an awkward moment.

Every once-in-a-while, while walking down the street, I see a fellow whom I know is a Hobbit. I can tell by the jocular manner, the bushy curly hair, and the cute, innocent face. Feeling privileged to know his secret, I smile conspiratorially and wink if I can catch his eye. If I'm close enough, I might slyly reach out my hand to pull the curls away from his ear-- to make sure it's a pointy Hobbit ear. He normally fakes ignorance at my intentions by slowly backing away from me with a bewildered and somewhat frightened expression on his face. (They're good actors, too.)

But he knows that I know.

Dani's on to you, shire folk.


13 comments:

  1. Agh! What happened to Bilbo!?
    (I've never watched LotR before so I have no clue what just happened at the end of that clip! :-P )

    Hobbits do seem like lovely creatures. I think I may have seen one or two at some point in my life .... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl!? You need to watch these movies!!! They are SO deep and SO good!
    Listen here: I have the trilogy, and when I come home for Christmas Bethany S., you guys and anyone else we know in common can have a LOTR gathering and watch the trilogy. You will enjoy watching it with me, because I fast-forward the creepy parts so we'll just make it a girl thing. (Men don't like it when you fast-forward scary parts or battle scenes.) :) :) :) What say ye?? Then you shall KNOW what happened to Bilbo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Do we ever love Hobbits too! We just finished watching LOTR a couple of weeks ago (again!). It's our all time favorite movie. We no longer skip the scary parts although I made the boys skip them when we first started watching the movies. To this day, I still don't like the dead marshes...creepy!

    So, at the end of Return of the King, do you cry when Sam walks in and sees Frodo for the first time? I sob every. single. time. The kids always wait for it and then we all end up laughing over me crying.

    I don't know. I think I might have asked to see his feet. Or I might have figured out a way to get a look at his ears :o) Just think how cool it would be to discover the first real Hobbit!

    Hope you are having fun! Are there such things as Hobbit cowboys?

    CSL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dani,
    Oh! That does sound fun! (and fast-forwarding the creepy parts sounds fine ;-) ) I've been hearing more and more how good the books/movies are and am interested to see for myself what makes them such a favorite with people! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, I think the part that always get me the most is when Samwise says" I can't carry th' load fer ya, Mr. Frodo... but I can carry YOU."

    Or the part where Frodo believed Gollum and leaves Sam behind, crying. Those two parts ALWAYS get me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! You're giving away the story! ;-)
    It sounds good already... :-D (a movie must make me cry to meet my approval... well, not quite, but anyway... ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. o.k., please count me in. i have never seen these movies either and now my curiousity can take it no longer..............hobbit cowboy? are you hoping for a cowboy hubbie lizzie??
    btw, we watched rudolph tonight and at midnight it was pouring down our first beautiful snowfall!
    xoxoxo, chica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! How on earth did this post turn into me searching for a COWBOY HOBBIT HUSBAND!?
    You crazy people. What am I gonna do with you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hold on now, Dani! I just asked if there were Hobbit cowboys...you know, cause you're in that neck of the woods! I didn't say nor imply anything else. No siree! I had a mental picture of a Hobbit wearing a 10 gallon hat! I certainly didn't think you'd be looking for a Hobbit cowboy husband!

    Chica, Chica, Chica...you've gone and gotten us all in trouble!

    Yee Haw anyways :o)

    And a LOTR movie party sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmmmmmmmm.....me thinks thou does protesteth too much..........hioooooooooo silver! hobbit that is. ;o)
    love you lizzie.
    xoxoxox chica

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never excepted that I would tell anyone this, but, I AM....a hobbit cowboy. Well, I used to be, but I'm not anymore! Don't tell anyone or I will send one of my Mafia Hobbit friends for a visit....

    Miss you Dani!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nate. Please. Try not to embarrass your sister on her blog.

    Sophie, each part of your extended version has 4 CD'S!? I have an extended version but it only has one extra CD for each movie. WOW! I must be missing out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!