Tuesday, November 16, 2010

CHRISTMAS GIFT SPOILER! Grandparents don't read this!!


...I'm serious. If you read this, Grand-parentage, you will know what you are getting for Christmas. This is like peeking in your stocking or tearing the paper off of the gift ahead of time. You'll feel so guilty that you won't be able to look me in the eye! I've even made the temptation less for you by changing the font smaller so you'll have to WORK to read it. That was low of me but I think it might do the trick.

...Okay... 'Tis the season (well almost), and I do want to write a little post about Christmas gifts. We all have those people in our lives who have EVERYTHING, or need NOTHING. Grandparents, for instance: good heavens...what on earth do you get them? It is always a bit of a puzzlement for me and though sometimes I come up with a brilliant idea at times, I'm afraid, I've delivered duds.

So this year I came up with the perfect plan; I actually discovered it while traveling with the Grens in Texas. We went to visit the headquarters of an organization called Gospel for Asia and Lars spoke at their weekly prayer meeting. Through them, I discovered this idea: I am going to go to India, and travel to one of the poorest States, poorest villages, and then make my way to the hut of a family who is destitute. Most likely this family will be a pastor's family, and they will have several children who are malnourished; perhaps a nursing mother who is struggling to provide enough milk for her baby or the father who struggles to make ends meet between his ministry and the job he has to have. I will give this family a pair of chickens, and soon these chickens will lay eggs. These eggs will hatch and my family will have a flock of chicks! They will keep a few, and sell a few. Within a few month's time this family will have the ability to sell eggs daily, to sell meat, and to have the protein they need to sustain themselves. Isn't this an amazing thought?

Obviously, I am not making a trip to India. But my money is. I am giving this gift through an organization which I trust, because I know that 100% of the funds donated to this gift will GO overseas. Animals aren't the only options that you can buy. among other things you can purchase blankets, sponsor a child, or buy a rickshaw bike so a man can support his family.

I am SO EXCITED about giving these gifts this year; feeling like I've made a difference and blessed people who truly need it! These animals will have a lasting impact on my impoverished brothers and sisters in India... much more than another glass vase on my Grandma's shelf or another mug in my Grandpa's cupboard would. I love it!

Maybe, like I did at first, you hesitate because you think the your family member or friend will be disappointed not to have a package to unwrap. Seriously? If they are, shame on them; they need the reality check of their own selfishness anyhow. (Humbug.)

I won't write a big blurb about this so I'll sign off by listing three organizations that you might want to check out. (I personally admire all of them, though I gave through Gospel for Asia. I love the thought that these gifts will be going to fellow believers in the name of Christ through GFA.) These organizations will also send you a card which you can give to the person in whose honor you've given the gift.

If you're interested in this, I've made it easy for you; just click on the name of the organization to be transported to the web page. And, happy shopping! (It IS happy to shop for these gifts... delightful in fact!)

5 comments:

  1. Dani, I think this is a great idea. Although my little nieces and nephews might not appreciate it as much..lol. I love the new blog look. Sorry I have just got back to looking at all these. Too busy. I love and miss you. Hear Scott and Oksie are coming in if they are not already here. Wish I could see you over the holiday's too. Email me about possibly getting together. Love Ya. Jenn Tomes jtomes@neo.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI!! About three years ago I was at GFA for a year doing the internship/school program that they have. I was talking to some friends and they said that Elizabeth Elliot was there and I thought it would have been so cool if you were there. I was actually down this past weekend for my friend's wedding and asked my roommate if you were there and she said that she had seen you and that you looked like an amazing sweet lady!! She wished she had gotten a chance to talk to you but wasn't able to before the end of prayer. I am so glad that you got to meet some of my Texas family!! :) They are amazing people and God is doing awesome things through the ministry there! I am also giving some chickens and rabbits for Christmas. :) God bless you in your personal ministry! You are an inspiration to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Dani! Thanks for the reminder about giving through GFA! I recently finished reading the book Gospel for Asia (so cool that you got to visit!). Have you heard of the Shoe Box Drive? They're based out of Orlando and send shoe boxes to needy children in Haiti...

    We HAVE to chat soon! I owe you a phone call. Miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Dani - That is a great idea! I think your grandparents will love it.
    Let me share what Carl's side of the family is doing for our C'mas gift exchange this year: All family members over 18 are to put $25 in an envelope and the name of a missionary or organization on a piece of paper. All of the envelopes will be put into a pile and someone will pull out one envelope. The missionary or organization that is named in that envelope will receive the money from ALL the envelopes in one bigger love gift. There are 16 of us over 18 (some way over ;)
    I love your idea and am thankful for the suggestions you listed above.
    Had a wonderful visit with your mom the other day and I have been praying specifically for some of the needs she mentioned to me.
    Miss you and hope to catch up when you get home!
    Love you bunches!!!! teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have some friends who have done this for a few years now and they LOVE it. they get the kids some little gifts of course, but all the adults do this. very cool...thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!