Sunday, June 06, 2010

I long for the Lord
more than sentries long for the dawn,
yes, more than sentries long for the dawn.
-King David

I stand tall on the rocks above the sea and the wind whips my hair. I breathe deeply, lifting my chin, shutting my eyes, and pondering that beautiful water. Sometimes I feel like the sea. So many other people have drawn the parallel, but how true it is... one's heart can toss just like the waves of the ocean! Where are they going; what are they doing, those busy waves? Tempestuous, like a heart can be. I scan the horizon, and my heart reaches out for something... What?
"What are you longing for?"
Says a voice at my side. I don't turn to see who asked the question, because I know who it is. I smile quietly, acknowledging His invisible presence. Inviting Him to share the moment with me. I'm glad He's here on the rocks with me. How long had He been standing here? I feel a little ashamed by His probing question. It feels a little more like a gentle rebuke than a query. Why?
"I'm longing for a lot of things."
For a while, thoughts tumble in my mind; thoughts birthed by His question. He kneads them around like a Baker kneading dough with a firm, skilled hand. Finally, they meld into one phrase; one I've read in Psalms:
My soul finds rest in God alone.
His question, again: "What are you longing for?"
"I forgot it again, Lord; but I guess I was longing for You. You know that I am incomplete unless my soul is at rest in Your embrace."
That's what He wanted me to remember. He reaches out and grasps my hand. I can't feel the hold, but I know He's grasping it tightly. He smiles at me, and even though I can't see His smile, I smile back. I want to cry, because this barrier between spirit and flesh makes Him feel so far away. But I know that someday it will be abolished, and then I will realize that He was the invisible Reality in every moment of my life, whether I felt it or not. He tells me that he loves me, and I can not hear Him say it. But I know it.
And even though it doesn't erase the longing, even though the longing seems to intensify and fill my heart as if the waves might overflow, I know there will be a time when I'll "feel" it more than I do now. And until then,
...He loves me.
He loves me.
And wow; that's enough.

7 comments:

  1. you're really early, Dani!! watcha doin' up so early? :D it's 11 pm over here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't have spoken more clearly the thoughts of my own heart of late. I too long for the abolishing of that barrier between flesh and spirit... to know as I am known and to be with Him and be like Him.
    Thanks for posting, dear Dani! ~ Danelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write so elequently and verbalize the longings of ther heart. Thank you my friend! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey lizzie,
    i just copied your post and sent it out to my email list. what truth elequently spoken. i feel you need to focus on writing a book. your time in boston will allow for that....
    i was actually closing my eyes as i was reading it. felt like i was right there with you 2. love this post! and don't bother shaking your head or rolling your eyes at me. and i figured i didn't need your permission to copy and forward since any ole soul could read it on your blog. ;o)
    now a whiplash change of topic, i LOVE car's new table!!!!!! whippee! and her blog too.
    btw, can you bring me one of those "pizza, killer knife, alaskan thingies"? a kilbuck, lol. my alzheimers prohibits me from calling it by name. i will pay you back. if i remember right they are inexpensive.
    when you are home for your brief appearance, it is amish country or bust! and i mean it!
    love you!!!!
    chica

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. love your new blog page layout! and your new "cute chick with guitar pic". gorgeous design, cannot read the yellow/orange color though!! may i ask you to kindly PICK A NEW COLOR!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your posts of course are always beautiful. I haven't had much time for blogging just catching up on everything. Miss your smiling face it has been too long. Such adventures you have had recently. Love ya. JennTomes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dani!
    I love checking up on my Bright Lights friends every once in awhile...but I think it's been too long! Are you back in Alaska? I thought you were going to help Elizabeth E.?
    Thanks for sharing on your blog...it's so refreshing.
    Yesterday I heard a message at church yesterday about the Passover...about choosing the Lamb, and how each family had to choose a Lamb for their family, "And if the household be too little for the lamb, let him and his neighbour next unto his house take it according to the number of the souls; every man according to his eating..." (Exodus 12:4)The speaker compared it to how moms sometimes tell kids
    "Don't eat so much...save some for your dad when he gets home."
    But with the Lamb of God, everyone can have "acording to his eating"...the Lamb will never run out.

    He is enough!

    Love in Christ,
    Karissa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!