Saturday, August 01, 2009

Mountains and Crutches

Carlee's life has taken yet another complicating twist. Because of the surgery she had a few weeks ago to remove and biopsy some of her lymph nodes, there's been the worry of lymphedema. This would be irreversible fluid retention and swelling in a her arm caused by the damage to her lymph system. Yesterday her hand and entire arm started to noticeably swell. I can't describe the sinking of our hearts when sings of yet another complication for Carlee start to emerge. There is a helpless feeling when a person you love and would gladly suffer for is enduring a difficulty that even medical doctors are absolutely powerless to change or reverse. Please pray for her. We feel very blessed to be children of the Great Physician who has been known to defy medical odds quite often. :) Carlee needs Him now to stop this lymphedema so it won't restrict and debilitate her for the rest of her life.

Some people call belief in God a "crutch", as if that's an insult. But I have to wonder: how would we retain hope and joy without a Crutch; and why is it so wrong to need a crutch in this pain-filled, fallen world anyhow? A man can use a crutch to support his broken body without being mocked or blamed, but when a person admits their need for Someone greater than himself to lean on for the devastation life brings, he's somehow looked on as weak and simple? How brazenly haughty the human race is! Jesus says, "Cast your burden upon the Lord, and He will sustain you. He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." (Psalm 55:22)

I'm writing a song for Car. The tune is a bit sketchy still, but the words are these:

VERSE 1-
The mountain is high, and I don't know why I'm climbing it-
I just know jesus sad this was the way for my to take.
My eyes may be dry, but inside my heart is weeping while
I try to keep my eyes fixed on the goal that is at stake.
And a host of silent souls are climbing right along beside me,
In a realm apart from anything my eyes can see...

CHORUS
So my heart takes courage
And my eyes look up,
While my aching feet press onward toward the goal
And my hand grasps His
While I drink from His cup
And find each bitter sip delights my soul.

Verse 2-
I've lost the life I had, but I know I'm truly living,
Because Jesus is the Treasure I have found
And I have His word, that the clouds will break soon farther up,
And I'll be standing then on holy ground
And the view that I'll see when I'm standing on the heights
Won't be shadows or valleys, but a path of light!

CHORUS

Verse 3-
A while ago I looked up, saw the place where I'm at now and thought
"God, I can't walk there; don't ask me to..."
But now that I'm here, I see the beauty all around me,
Because Jesus really does make all things new.
And I trust the Mighty Author Who is writing out my Story
So instead of dark defeat I am shouting glory!

CHORUS


9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Carlee is in our prayers everytime we think of her. The song is beautiful. Can't wait to hear it when its all finished. Love Ya! kari m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sis! I didn't know you were writing such a song for me! I just sat and was amazed through my tears. How did you know how I was feeling? I don't think I'm so noble as you painted it, but your words inspire my heart. I love you so much, thanks for being by my side through this! Carlee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will be praying for Carly about this new battle she is going thru.Just remember God is in control.I really like your song you wrote i remember when you helped me write a poem for one of the girls it was so much fun.Give yourself and family a big hug from me.Love ya and miss you.Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  4. precious dani...thank you for being so transparant and encouraging in your time of trial. i could hear you singing...even though i couldn't hear the tune, i could hear you. thanks for sharing those wonderful words. i am praying for dear carli and am so glad to know what to pray...keep posting and letting us know what the needs are. i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am praying for Carlee and you all... *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful song...I, too, can't wait to hear it once the tune gets worked out! I'll continue to be praying for Carlee...I don't know a whole lot about the lymphodema, but someone I know had the same issues and praise God that eventually the symptoms ceased! With God all things are possible (no matter what doctors may say!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm weeping, Dani...

    We know Him who gives us "songs in the night!" The blessedness of being able to cast our cares on Him cannot be described.

    Thank you for being such a precious sister to Nate and Carlee.

    We're praying from this end, Dani, with fervent supplication.

    Loving You,
    Esther, for William also

    ReplyDelete
  8. i echo all the above sentiments dani....i also can hear you singing it and i want to learn to sing it too.....all glory to God for your trust in Him and the love He has given your family, one for the other. much love dear girlie. we must see you before you return to carlee....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dani, the lyrics are SO beautiful. Thank you for the great example you are to me of glorifying the Lord through such difficult suffering. I feel blessed to be your sister in Christ! I am praying for Carlee.

    Lovingly,
    Grace
    P.S. I can't wait to hear your song with music.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!