Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"An Auspicious Hindu Wedding"

First, I want to thank those of you so much who are praying for Grandpa. He cam through surgery alright yesterday, though he's still in a lot of discomfort and very weak. We feel a *LOT* better knowing there's a filter in place to protect his lungs from rogue blood clots.

Last weekend I traveled with my Grandparents to a second cousin's wedding in Kalamazoo, Michigan. David married Shweta, a lovely Indian-American girl, and their wedding was fascinating! On the invitation it was called an "auspicious Hindu wedding". It was the most interesting wedding I've ever attended; it felt as if I had walked through a door and entered India! Most of the women were dressed in gorgeous Saris from every color of the rainbow with glittering beads and sequins, and even some of the men had beautiful robes on. On the way home, I drove with the groom's mom (my aunt Rosie) and we stopped at Shweta's parent's house. It was another cultural experience! :) Her brother showed me their beautiful python and I enjoyed another fantastic Indian meal (there is absolutely NOTHING like Indian food. Perhaps it even beats Italian, but don't tell Grandpa I said that)... and the fantastic part; Shweta's cousin dyed the palm of my hand in a beautiful henna design. I had a blast. :) Here are a few pictures from the wedding, courtesy of my cousin Toni (thanks Toni!)


Part of he wedding ceremony: Shweta and David offer puffed rice into a fire pit while a priest chants. Both sets of parents look on. The fringe of David and Shweta's robes are tied together during this part of the ceremony by David's sisters.


Toni, David, and Shweta (look at her beautiful sari!!)


Toni and I. I enjoyed spending a little time with my long-lost second cousin. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!