Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dormant Seed

My dear friend and I have been walking similar roads of late. We both have almost identical dreams that seem to be dead. God delights in the faith that causes us to place our dream-seed in his hands. He buries it deep in the dirt and allows the harshest of elements to seal it in it's tomb... but is it a tomb? It's not that it's died; it's only begun to live.


It is Winter.
And outside the trees are skeletons and ice coats everything.
All is dormant,
And the world waits with eager hope to feel the breath of spring.
And the birdsong
That has filled the earth with wild joy, and hope and life
Is all quiet,
As they huddle in the branches to escape from winter's strife.
And my heart, too,
Feels the fridged cold and icy finger's grip,
While a dream seed
Lays a shivering beneath the soil in sleep.
And it may seem
Like the seed is dead and Spring will never grace the world above,
But in it's tomb,
God is working on the tiny seed in unforgotten love.
And when time's right,
I will see a sprout as birds begin to laugh and ice starts weeping,
And I'll know then,
That the seed I thought He'd killed was only sleeping.


"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit."
John 12:24




7 comments:

  1. Nice picture. I like the personification of the ice weeping.

    Although, frankly, I like the cold and snow. BUT it's the end of winter so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great post Dani!

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you write that verse? very pretty. love you dani...and appreciate your desire to let that little seed sleep until your Savior decides to awaken it. forced blooms wither and die--as you know. remember that seeds grow down, placing their roots deep in the dark and establishing their security--their source of nourishment--before they ever break the surface of the earth. the "hidden" reality is what, in fact, gives stability to the awaited "fruit", once it sprouts. i understand your parable of the sleeping seed from experience...praying that the Lord would encourage you while you wait. waiting is hard even when we know it is important. thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dani! You have a blog now! :-) What a beautiful poem. I love it. :-) Miss you and think of you often, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani, these are such precious thoughts! Thank you for sharing them. It was SO good to see you at the wedding and chat a bit! Blessings, dear friend ~ hope to see you again soon! Love you, Danelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have totally been there. Actually, I think I am still there in a way. :-)
    One thing that God has taught me though all of it is that He is a God of resurrection and life. He doesn't kill dreams and leave you dead forever. The morning always comes eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing this poem, Dani! It truly blessed me:-)
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!