Wednesday, April 04, 2012

My Tribute


One mid-afternoon when I was in Peru with the Grens and Bert and Colleen Elliot last year, I was laying on my bed during "siesta time" listening to Colleen's piano music wafting from the livingroom below. She played so beautifully! One of the songs she played was "My Tribute:"

How could I say thanks for the things You have done for me?
Things so undeserved, yet You gave to prove your love to me,
The voices of a thousand angels could not express my gratitude;
All that I am, or ever hope to be, I owe it ALL to You!

To God be the Glory,
To God be the Glory,
To GOD be the Glory,
For the things He hath done!
With His blood He has saved me,
With His power He has raised me,
To GOD BE THE GLORY for the things He hath done!

Just let me live my life,
And let it be pleasing Lord to Thee...
And if I gain any praise,
Let it go to Calvary!

It's one of my favorite songs. Stretched languidly on my bed in the warm, golden Peruvian afternoon, listening to the music drifting from below and loving the sweet lady who was playing it...in my memory it was a perfect, peaceful moment. Later I told Colleen how beautiful her playing had been and how much I loved that song. She smiled with a tilt of her head and with that frank, open manner of hers exclaimed, "That's one of my favorites, and I want that song sung at my funeral! Oh, I know they're gonna say all sorts of things about Bert and Me--how we did this and did that and planted this many churches [it's estimated they planted around 150]... but I don't want any of that. I just want GOD to get the glory."

Last week, two days before Bert's memorial service in Portland, Oregon, Colleen slipped on some stairs and fell, fracturing her skull. The next afternoon she entered glory and was reunited with Bert after only six weeks TO THE DAY of separation. Oh, I know time isn't the same in Eternity, but don't you think Bert was a little surprised? "Sweetheart...YOU here!? ALREADY!?" :) Most amazingly, she saw Jesus for the first time. Touched him, worshipped Him, and faith became sight. I know even Bert stepped into the background for that glorious meeting!

Colleen and Bert's memorial service was held--together--the next day. They had spent over 60 years serving Jesus together in Peru, and I suppose He felt it only fitting that their lives be celebrated (and I do mean celebrated, not mourned!) together. Oh sure, there were tears. Lars wept openly when he called to tell me and mine mingled with his over the phone. It was just such a shock. I only knew them for a year and yet I can't imagine the world without them! And most of all, to think of their adoring Peruvian family and the missionaries there who love them so much; how incredibly hard to lose both your Abuelitos in 6 wks. time! I cried for them, too. But, you just couldn't grieve to that extent for TOO long because, well...Wow. What an incredible end. Together. With Him. Sheer joy!

The tears came again, though, as I watched their memorial service online and saw the congregation rise to sing "My Tribute; To GOD BE THE GLORY!"

My dear elder sister...hero in the faith...saint... You got your wish.

Now if I could get mine, it would be to serve Christ as faithfully, as quietly, as productively, as lovingly and as joyfully as you did.


9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to a couple the Lord used as they were obedient to His call. They are the Mighties of this age. What a blessing Dani, that you had the opportunity to meet them here, on THIS earth. You shared a glimpse what a life given completely over to be used of God, can do in just a short life span. The price is high. God does not want partnership with us, but ownership of us.

    Blessings to you and your sweet family
    Mrs P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. That would be my wish also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so amazingly beautiful...may God Bless their ministry for generations to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I frequently peruse your blog and enjoy it so much! I remember your earlier posts of visiting the Elliots so this entry meant a bit more to me. It made me cry actually. . .
    I used to have a blog (Tales of a Castle) where I mentioned my youngest son was named Elliott James after Jim, so I have always enjoyed all the snippets you have written regarding the family. I've started a new one where I'm giving everyone nicknames. If you care to see Jim's little namesake - he's currently called "The Tornado." :-)
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani, thanks so much for sharing this tribute. I, too, pray that I will serve the Lord as they did.

    Blessings!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome God we serve! Thanks for sharing this amazing story. I pray for you as I think of you. How blessed you will be and the Lord will surely use you mightily as you've committed your all to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just think how much happier God would be if we would surrender to Him all the occult and witchcraft items some so foolishly embrace!
    How much we grow in our ability to hear Him and prove our love for Him with those things
    cleansed from our lives and minds!! KJV

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely agree, KJV. I'm wondering, though... what on earth in my post made you think of that? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!