Wednesday, February 01, 2012

How on earth...

...Do I start blogging again!? So many things whizzing through my mind that I could write about. Sorta' overwhelming.

Well, I guess we'll start with first things first.

I went to Brazil!

And it was amazing!

My brother Nate went with me, which made it EPIC! He is an incredible guy, an awesome brother, and a treasured friend. I kept on feeling immeasurably blessed to be in that beautiful country with him. We stayed with friends in Annapolis (central Brazil) for about a week and a half, then traveled with them about three hours north to a mission station in Puerto Velho. Here, several organizations including Wycliffe and YWAM (known in Brazil as "Jocum" are based. This is a strategic spot for reaching several of the MANY remote tribes in Brazil.

Nate, who is a pilot and is preparing for mission aviation work, offered assistance with a plane that needed repairs. During the three or four days he was busy with that, I pretty much wandered around the base exploring (which was very fun!), read some, and spent time in prayer, too. I couldn't help but feel that God had definitely lead us to Puerto Velho for a reason other than tourism. Part of me was completely content with that reason being for Nate (that he'd get a clearer vision of what sort of missions aviation God is calling him to)... but another part of me kinda' hoped that God had something for ME in Puerto Velho, too. Someone I should meet; something I should see; a ministry I should know about, maybe. So I prayed about it.

I'm long winded. So because it's a long story, I'll fast-forward a bunch of things that I would be jawing on and on about if I were telling you this in person, and simply say that on the LAST day of our time in Puerto Velho I met people who are working in a ministry that I can really see myself serving in (it's an international ministry, so I'm not talking about necessarily moving to Brazil any time soon!). I felt my heart burning with excitement and with a vision to help reach remote people groups with the Word of God; a vision I've been passionate about for close to 10 years now, ever since I read the book "Bruchko."

As I contemplated these things on the flight home, I decided that I need to make this an active matter of prayer and start at least "knocking on doors" to see if God wants to send me soon. It's a terrifying thought, to leave my family and my comforts here, and I don't think I'm quite ready for it... but I trust that if God has given me this passion, He will equip me for it in due time. Perhaps God wants me to stay stateside for now and continue serving here for Him. I'm definitely willing for that. But I also feel like it's time to start looking into the possibility of going.

So, if you think to pray for me as I start tentatively seeking for guidance, please do. I would be SO SO grateful! I'm overwhelmed and excited; feeling cautious and eager all at once. God would have to do a LOT of things in order for me to move overseas anytime soon. But He's a big God. His dreams are bigger than mine. And my heart is increasingly burdened with the truth that there are tribes out there who do not know Him; people who do not know how to die. Men and women who are being hurtled into a Christless eternity without ever having heard that there is a God who loves them. It's so wrong... and I want to be part of telling them.

A little side note that doesn't have much to do with the rest of this post: I'm wondering if there are very many people who actually read this blog. So would you mind, if you read THIS post, just leaving a tiny comment? Nothing big. You can even be anonymous. Just say something like "Hey! Read it!" ...And I'll be happy. :) And you'll have done your good deed for the day.

I'm just curious.

36 comments:

  1. Hey girl!! I am reading your blog :-) Would love to see some pictures from your amazing trip. Ruthann is still in Australia, and would appreciate prayers. They are going non stop. Keep blogging, it's nice to see whats going on in your life ;-D

    Mrs. P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed Brazil. I will pray for you. And I will pray even more for your Mom! Having all her kids gone will be hard for her, but she can do it! Love, Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. *waves hand* I'm here. Still reading, and still remembering you with all warm and fuzzy feelings from the Bright Lights conference waaaaay back when, 'cause in my little girl mind, you were the "BEST" small group leader- ever. :) And you're still challenging me through your blog, still challenging me to reach beyond my comfort zone and do hard things. Love you for that, Dani!

    Btw, how's Carlee and the other Hobbits? Been thinking of them in the past few weeks with all the snow and such.

    {{HUGS}} to you, Dani- keep on blogging, and I'll try to keep commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! This is Sarah Ramsey, used to be Altman! I love reading your blog and I am often encouraged in my walk with the Lord. Thank you so much for sharing your passion and heart! I am so glad that you had a great trip to Brazil and look forward to hearing what God does next in your life! :) Hopefully it will include a trip to this area sometime to visit Leah and her munchkins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited for you!
    I do read your blog...I feel a bit like a stalker for the many times I checked it while you were in Brazil...you were killin' me with a lack of updates girl! :)
    Will be praying for you regarding this new opportunity...keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Love the new background & banner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a faithful follower of your blog. You reach deep into your heart and beautifully express your thoughts and feelings, along with a clear picture of the Holy Spirit's leading in your life. I'll be praying for guidance and a clear path to wherever and whatever God has planned for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too feel like like a stalker as I am always looking for new updates to keep me encouraged and excited about everyday life. I know there are big things waiting for you Dani- go for it! You have already touched so many lives. I enjoy living vicariously through your journeys. Love you! Toni

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't leave a tiny comment...all my letters stayed the same size :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read it, and God is going to use to do great things for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is one of my favorites on my Google Reader blogroll! :) Thanks for writing...and it was SOOOO good to talk to you yesterday! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dani, I met your mom at a bridal shower last spring and have been blessed to know her. I also am a friend of Teri Aeschliman's. I really enjoy reading your blog and have you in my "Google Reader" so I catch any updates.

    I think I first found it when Teri told me about your work with Elisabeth (someone I have always loved since becoming a believer) and just kept reading after that.

    Thanks for your writing. I will pray for you. I pray regularly for your sister, too, as she and I are going through a similar journey with breast cancer...~Andrea Gerber

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Dani! I faithfully check your blog and so enjoy reading your updates. I loved seeing the pictures on FB and am excited to see where God will lead you. I'll be praying for you.

    Rhonda Hower

    ReplyDelete
  14. You don't know me, but I started reading your blog "through" contact with Dorcas McCoy, whom I have known since childhood. Love your style of writing and humor! We also have known the Mike Hobbs family since we were kids as well. So....I have been praying for and following your sister's journey in AK as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't possibly NOT read the blog of such a wild and adventurous friend such as yourself, Dani! I am usually laughing, crying, and marveling as I read of what God is doing in your life. He is doing great things in and through you, my dear friend. Love you so much!
    ~Jules

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, thank you guys so much for these comments! It's making me want to BLOG! :) You're so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I DO read your blog!! It's one of the best I have on my list :) Love you girl! It's Sophie btw

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes -- my daughter and I both read it. You can meet our family at thegoogegs.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dani Dear! I read your blog and sometimes Anna does too! In fact, I check yours, Carlee's and a few others each night before I go to bed to pray specifically for each and every one of the bloggers (plus to see if there is anything new :-)!
    So KEEP BLOGGING!
    LotsaLove!
    teri

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Girl!!
    Welcome back to blogging! I've been watching here and now I know why it was quiet on :o) What an awesome adventure you were on. Will be praying that God will lead you where He wants you to be.
    Love you,
    Mrs. Mac

    ReplyDelete
  21. yes, I read it!
    I guess you could call me a stalker - Rebekah Schatte told me about your blog after meeting you, and now I'm actually in a courtship with her brother, Samuel, who is working toward being a missionary pilot, so I really enjoyed reading this post, and see the pictures from your trip!!! :)gave me a little slice of what I might be in for! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read it too. :-) It's very exciting to hear about your trip and how the Lord is leading you! Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Dani, I really enjoy your posts and check in often for updates. Thanks for your humor, transparency, and encouragement!

    Steph B.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Dani, I read your blog, too :) I go to very few blogs right now, but I've found that I'm always encouraged by your thoughts and adventures so you've made it to the top ten list!
    Love, Nickie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, don't know you, but feel that I do. Your blog is a breath of fresh air in my sometimes dry and thirsty land. You encourage my heart and give me a greater desire to know Him and love others. Keep writing, would love to meet you someday. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Dani - I love the updates on your adventures and your walk with God and I will be praying for His clear direction for you, especially as you start to "knock on doors".
    Love from all the Carnes

    ReplyDelete
  27. I first found you when I was looking up info on Elisabeth Elliot. (you were living with them then.) I enjoy what you write about and so I pop in now and then.
    God bless you as you seek HIM with all your heart!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Dani ~ Mrs. Detwiler here. Our family often checks your blog to see what God is doing in your life. We always enjoy your creative (and funny) way of communicating. I feel I can nearly "hear" you speaking when I read.:) Your blog inspires, provokes and encourages us as you share your adventures and musings. You, and your family, are often in my prayers.
    For God's glory
    Mrs. D and the clan

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Dani,

    I check often to see how God is working in your life. In turn I have gained much insight into my relationship (or lack of) with Him. In short, just wanted to let you know that your posts have inspired me grow closer to our Lord. Many times when you seem perplexed about what you should do next...I want to shout "Dani, you are doing great things right now". God Bless You, Blog away, you are teaching so much!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Dani!
    I was skimming over people's comments, and I couldn't figure out why no one was offering you suggestions on where you could go. So I went back to your post and read the last paragraph more carefully and saw you were wanting people to post just to see who's reading it and not to see where you should go for reaching the lost. (I've been in a little fog all day, making siilly mistakes like that and being forgetful. I somehow missed the first and last parts of the paragraph and thought you were requesting a tiny, even anonymous, comment on where to go.) So I was all ready to give you my idea, but I still will. It's obvious. We have plenty of unreached tribes up here. You could come up here for a, say, preparatory phase. You'll be stateside, close to some family, friends, occasionally without the comforts of daylight and electricity and above zero temps. If you want to practice bringing light to dark, come on up to Sin City of the North!! We speak mostly English too so you wouldn't have to stress too much about learning a foreign language. Plus a lot of people think we're a just another country using the metric system, so no problem convincing people you're on a "real" mission trip. :) So I say this with a smile and a little selfish twinkle in my eye, but am half-serious. Plus, RuthAnn would explode--the good kind of explode. AND maybe even a bigger plus? MB: Live on Front Street!

    Anyway, gotta get to work. Will be praying for you. Glad you guys had a wonderful trip! Hugs,
    Nora :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Praying for you your direction from God.
    Blessings,
    H

    ReplyDelete
  32. I read your blog. And well I don't know you but my mom knows your sister and visited her well she had caner. And my sister found that out when she email you in August. (the same sister that hosted the Radiant Purity video Conference in Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yes, I very much enjoy your blog, and it is a great encouragement to me.
    Keep pressing forward in this very wonderful, exciting jouney that is always changing!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well, little sis, I have to add our voice here. I haven't been on in a couple of weeks, but I'm back - and we love your thoughts, pictures, and just everything. Keep it up! What an incredible trip to Brazil! And how exciting to hear the vision that God is continuing to develop in your heart for missions. We'll be praying! much love from your Ukrainian family...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Dani! Just letting you know I read your post and find your blog often so inspiring and encouraging! Will be praying for you as you continue to seek God's face regarding His next step for you! ~Annalisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!