Friday, January 06, 2012

KEITH GREEN

I'm reading "No Compromise," the story of Keith Green. I've been wanting to read it for a couple years now. I remember my parents listening to his records (yes, RECORDS) when I was younger and a few years ago I downloaded his songs on iTunes. They grip me. He was passionate.

He was only two years older than me, I think, when he died. I'm gripped by stories of men and women who make short lives COUNT. Maybe God knows I'll live a short life, and He wants me to make mine count. Or maybe if I marry some day, I'll be married to a man who expends his life for the Kingdom at a young age, and I'll have the honor of furthering his vision. I don't know. Foolish conjecture, I guess.

I wonder, when I read the biographies of men like Keith, Jim Elliot, and others.... where are those sort of men today, in this needy culture? ...I mean, I know they're OUT there, but I haven't met very many young men who've felt a drive from the time they were young to serve God with passion and wholehearted devotion. Guys who are intensely devoted to Jesus before they're even in their twenties. They seem to mess around with their lives until they're older, and THEN make the choice.

My prayer today is this: that God will impassion young men in this generation. And that He will raise my friends and I up to be the women who will stand behind them and share their dreams and cherish their vision, making them successful for the kingdom.

4 comments:

  1. Dani, you may also enjoy the story "Sandy" by Leighton Ford...a young man sold out for Jesus in his youth...and the impact his death had on those around him.

    Keith Green would do the "Jesus Festivals" and would really shun the adulation of the crowds. He didn't want fans...he wanted people to follow him with a passion for the One he sang for and about. His "tracts" were great too, still have a few.

    Glad you are enjoying the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to borrow your book when you finish. I have to say that I find David Platt to have the passion that you are talking about, but it does seem there are few and far between......
    Keep your passion up Dani!!!
    Love you, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Dani, I found your blog while looking for Keith Green songs....you ask where all the young men passionate for the Lord Jesus are...well I know of a few. They are out street preaching on friday nights and saturdays and meet for a service on sunday nights, prayer tuesday evenings, bible study wednesday evenings, they are passionate for God and have left the main churches because all they preach is health and wealth and entertainment. What part of the world are you in? Do you have street preachers? I have been looking online and see many young men all over the world taking up the challenge to take the Gospel out into the streets. I am an older person and am very excited about this. I think we are close to the end times. I loved listening to Keith Green in my young days, he was a passionate man for the Lord!
    Blessings, Florence

    ReplyDelete
  4. Florence, thank you so much for your comment! It was encouraging. Inmust never forget that God always has a "remnant" who have not bowed the knee to the gods of this culture! I live in Ohio and there isnt much street preaching in the more rural area i live in, but yes... Now that i think of it, I do know of one man who goes out and evangelizes on the street. His passion has challenged me! In his younger days he was the "hippy" type in California and now he uses all that nonconformist part of his nature to go against the flow of culture and further the Gospel. So cool. :) thanks again for reading and commenting!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!