Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day



I just want to go on record and say that it's AWESOME, what restaurants like Applebees and Olive Garden do for Veterans on this day! It absolutely thrills me that they do something like this regardless of what sort of money they may lose on it. Patriotism, honor and gratitude are alive! Applebees actually gave out free meals to Vets and I think several other restaurants were doing the same.

So, I had a date with Gramps (who was a tank operator in the South Pacific during WWII) and his friend Ed. Two rather handsome Marines; I felt pretty lucky, I must say... (wink!) The place was crowded but everyone standing in line was happy and seemed to want to talk about their war experiences or the lives of other veterans who were special to them. Marines would walk by our table and salute my Grandpa and Ed who would reply with a quick "Semper Fi!" Folks thanked them for their service, and a woman walked up to Grandpa and hugged him. He was beaming!


The entire drive home, Grandpa talked about his experiences in the war: cutting his knee open on a boat and being stitched up without any pain blocker, the natives he met on the South Pacific Islands, and the funny experiences he had like bathing in rivers and trying to hide from local women who came down to wash their clothes on Guam.

I will never grow tired of hearing his stories. I feel infinitely, infinitely blessed to be the granddaughter of a hero, and to still be able to hear him telling me his stories.

Semper Fi, Gramps. I love you.


Below: Grandpa got a little pin that said "Thank You" with his menu and I ceremoniously pinned it on. :) =

4 comments:

  1. What a cool time to have w/ your gramps; I know I love hearing about both of my grandpas experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special time to have with your grandpa...mine is already in heaven, and didn't really talk about his war experiences. So thankful for these brave men!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to spend Veterans Day! Our town had a special Veterans Day ceremony. As the middle school band played the fight song for each branch of the military they asked that those that have served stand behind the flag for their branch. It was humbling to see the number of people that have served our country and amazing when you look at the age span. Please send a "thank you" to your Grandpa. God Bless the USA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! It was such a special time. :) Especially since *supposedly* 1100 WWII vets die each day. I treasure moments with him!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!