Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Have I ever mentioned that I love Alaska?

This trip has already been pretty epic, and we've been here for less than a week! The first 5 days were spent in Anchorage with Nate, who's a bush pilot and flight instructor there. Five days weren't enough. We packed a ton into that time but you always wish for another evening to chat, another day to bum around A-town or hike the woods.

And it's amazing...My 88 yr. old Grandpa joined mom, dad and I on this trip! Is he a trooper or what? He's having the time of his life. Having him along on this trip is so meaningful to all of us.

When we stepped off the plane in Anchorage, and were plunged into fall. (Is it really still summer back home?) In Alaska the tundra is changing to a thousand shades of gold, red orange and yellow.... and some of the highest mountaintops already have a dusting of snow.

Okay: I'll quit talking now.
Pictures do more justice. :)

We loved visiting Alyeska Resort and taking the tram to the top of the mountain.
Gorgeous scenery.


We stopped for lunch before heading out to visit Portage Glacier.
It's hard to describe the massive size of what you're looking at here... so incredible!

Nate saved me from being eaten by a bear.
What a brother!
And speaking of "What a brother," not everyone has a bro who can take them on a flight over glaciers and mountains! How fun!
This is the airport at which Nate teaches, Merrill Field.
We flew over the Knik Glacier. Over 5 miles wide!!
It was cool to see bear, moose, and beluga whales from the air.

The 6 hr. cruise out of Seward was also a highlight of our time. What a spectacular harbor!

The first half of our cruise was super rainy but Nate and I loved the rough seas. :) The second half was beautiful and we saw a ton of wildlife!
A fleeting glimpse of a humpback whale
Two seals... can you believe how they blend in? :)
A rock full of lazy sea lions

Driving along the Seward Highway we saw a bear.... MY FIRST BEAR!!!
How fun is THAT!? We were pretty much ecstatic.
Nate was ashamed of his touristy family. (Snobby sourdough!)



A parting shot...

Well golly, whoda' thought I'd see my good pal Sarah Palin while shopping?
She said she's heard of my famous Sarah Palin Imitation and begged me to do it for her.
She loved it.
She actually endorsed it.


4 comments:

  1. Dani Girl! I have been waiting like forever for this post!! Oh the pictures are so lovely, thank you for posting them!!!!!! I feel like I am almost there. I am blown away by the beauty of Alaska. I so hope my family can go there someday. It is a dream I never thought I would have!! That is because of your posts......
    That bear!!!!!!! Amazing.
    Please send my love to Carlee with a huge hug from me. We now have skype and the girls would like to skype with her kids.
    I have 2 Bright Lights questions: Hannah Fisher would like to announce our group at her church, so possibly we would have a lot more girls. Is that fine with you? And second, I have Mom's contacting me who want to bring their 8 year old daughters very much......What say ye?
    Hugs to your Mom for me too.
    Love you,
    Chica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for a blog post!! :) What AMAZING pictures! Love them! So glad you're having a blast! Your grandpa looks like a lot of fun. :) Can't wait to hear more about your trip...Luv ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I would really love to see this Sarah Palin imitation that you do. Can you add the glasses and the hair? The pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing them! Your Panera Buddy, T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the pictures, Dani! Oh, how we wish we were with you all! But it's great seeing all the precious moments you're having and imagining how fun it must be! Give the whole family our love!
    Scott, Oksana and children

    ReplyDelete

Thanks--I'll be thrilled to hear from you!